NAD M10, BluOS, and Roon

That’s a really nice feature, it’s really nice that Roon hands a bit of its ‘control’ to BluOS.

So I did some work to my system, and then downloaded Roon to try. Relatively easy and fast to get it started, it took a few minutes of nothing, then my M10 showed up, and it was working. It instantly found my Music file on a drive, and I started there. I then choose to login to Qobuz, and noticed how it randomly picked music I should like and played it from Qobuz as Roon Radio.

The M10 color display works as normal with Roon. The Roon software as far as easy of use, and information is a big improvement over Bluos. I may be wrong, but sound quality may suffer some with Roon ??? Though this may require more work.

The information Supplied by Roon as to what is actually happening with and about the file being played is really nice since, Bluos really does not tell you much.

There has been a lot of discussion about the ability of the M10 to play DSD files. It is advertised as such, but with little info. I was told by NAD early on that DSD could be handled natively, though that term gets thrown around quite a bit.

Using Bluos, .dsf (DSD) files on my drives are ignored by Bluos, unless you manually change them to PCM files one at a time with a feature in Bluos. Everyone of these I used with this feature in Bluos seems to convert to 24/96.

With Roon, it accepts and plays these .dsf(DSD) files and converts them on the fly to 24/176. So unless NAD makes some change, I would assume that the M10 cannot play unconverted DSD files.for sure.

So I did a head to head of my Nad M12 an the M10.
Using the pre-outs on both, feeding into my amp a M17, toggling them back and forth.
(And I did this as a blinded test with both me and my wife)

Through roon, the m12 wins. Not by a huge amount, but a noticeable amount. The M12 has more dynamic range, more depth. It seems more full. The M10 is slightly more flat, seems muddy in given ranges.

And the same can be said of using the M10 amp (speakers). The M12 / m27 still wins.

So I was hoping this was a one box solution. But sadly, no. So I am sending it back.