NAS Album Unavailable

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Core 1.6 (build 416) on Ubuntu 18 server
Remote 1.6 on Windows 10 and iPad

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

AT&T U-Verse Gateway/Router (Pace Plc 5268AC)

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

MSB Renderer V2 via Ethernet

Description Of Issue

I just switched my music library from an internal SSD in the Roon Core server to a Synology DS119j NAS with one WD Red 4TB drive. When I select an album for playback the response is sluggish and the player often shows the album is not available. On subsequent tries the album plays. My files range from hundreds of MBs to a few GB. This happens with files of all sizes. Shouldn’t Roon wait until the read completes?

Hi @anon20084133,

Can you confirm whether or not analysis is being performed? Can you share a screenshot of ‘Settings > Storage’?

By whom? Roon? Not sure whom you mean.

The Storage page has my NAS folder, and that’s all.

A friend informed me he used a packet sniffer on Roon and found it requests portions of a file as needed, and therefore can die in the middle of playback.

This is what @dylan means by “analysis”: Audio Analysis. Because you’ve switched your storage location across to the NAS, it is likely that Roon is redoing audio analysis of your entire library. This can take a while, and consume resources.

Got it … I had that turned off.

FYI, I’m using a cheap NAS, Synology DS119j, so I’ve ordered a faster one, DS218+.

Hi @anon20084133,

I just wanted to check in with you to see if things are performing better after turning off Audio Analysis or if you still require assistance here. After the new Synology arrives please let us know.

Also, I would double check to make sure that your Core meets our Minimum Requirements, as it sounds like the Core may be running out of resources.

Hi Noris,

I’m trying to get the Euphony trial setup with Roon but I get a Roon login error when I try to change the core. Any ideas?

PS - still working on building the new NAS, but min requirements are met.

Hi @anon20084133,

• Can you provide some more information as to the exact Roon login error your are receiving?
  • Is it being plugged into the primary router and the behavior is still the same?
  • Does the trial setup info work when you log in to the current Windows Core? Note: I would perform a Backup of your current Windows Roon database just as a safety measure.

Noris, this appears to have been related to Euphony registration, as its working now. Thanks.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.