NAS/Forced Rescan: Any solution?

I recently moved my library off local storage onto a Synology NAS. I was a little bit surprised and disappointed to find that my music was no longer showing up in my Roon library unless I forced a rescan. I’ve read a couple of threads (latest, I think, 2017) that suggest this is the NAS’s fault for not “reporting” changes to Roon–although it’s hard for me to imagine that the local HD was doing much reporting, either. But never mind.

The only solution I’ve seen proposed is to have Roon force a rescan more often–which, however, seems quite impractical and undesirable, since typically I’m looking to listen to music as soon as I upload it; to get that to work with more frequent rescans, I’d need to rescan every minute or so.

Is there another solution? Maybe I could run a different server on the NAS? Change some server setting? Anything?

Thanks,

Jim

Keep your music on local storage and use the NAS as backup for your music files? Just an alternative way of doing things as a suggestion. (you do have backups of your music, don’t you?)

Keep your music on local storage and use the NAS as backup for your music files? Just an alternative way of doing things as a suggestion. (you do have backups of your music, don’t you?)

Thanks, but that’s not really an answer, is it? More passive-aggressive questioning the competence of the poster. Why do people insist on doing that? If I didn’t have good reason to put move my music files to a NAS, I wouldn’t have spent the money and gone to the trouble.

Your parenthetical backup question is not relevant to the issue I raised.

Jim

Unfortunately, no. This is an issue with the SMB protocol, and not even really the NAS’ fault. It would happen if you were accessing music from a share on a Windows Server as well.

Personally, I consider this a benefit rather than a problem. I prefer to have Roon scan new music only after I am done adding it, curating it (fixing metadata tags, etc) and so forth so it only has to look at it once. But I also tend to add music in batches, rather than a constant stream of new stuff.

1 Like

Only trying to help - clearly not a good idea.

1 Like

Thanks for this. Your post makes sense. And it’s certainly not a major inconvenience–only a minor one. If it’s an unavoidable consequence of keeping music on a NAS, I’ll just deal with it.

Thanks.