NAS hardware qualifications

Will a Celeron quad core 1.6 (N3150) 4gb ram ssd drive be sufficient for driving the Room core on a 1tb sized volume? (Qnap tbs453-a)

Roon’s recommended requirement is an i3 CPU and 4GB RAM. Additionally, Roon database should be on an SSD. I would say that the NAS in question in underpowered for a CPU and if you really meant a 4 GB SSD for the database, I would say that it is cutting it close as my 500 GB of music is creating a >2GB database for Roon.

But, the great thing is that they do not prevent you from trying underspecc’d hardware, so give it a try. There are more factors than just library size that affect Roon’s needs when it comes to processing power.

I am currently running roon server on a Qnap TS 453 pro with 8GB ram and 4 Seagate 7200 HDDs and a music library of about 2TB, 35K music files. It runs smooth for my standards and experience from other similar software (Jriver), without any problems or hiccups, even when feeding music on two systems.
Of course I don’t have experience with a faster cpu and an SSD for the database, but for me, the experience is satisfactory enough. I can only imagine the improvement of the total experience will be to an even higher level.

1 Like

I have two Qnap’s a TS569Pro and a TS871 I used to use 7200 spin speed drives but found they ran too hot causing premature failures, I changed to WD RED 5400’s and the temperature reduction was quite noticeable and reliability has improved.

Russ

While this is in the often quoted Knowledgebase, it’s not the minimum at all. In fact the KB should be edited to say it’s the ‘recommended config’ etc.

I have a library of 80,000ish tracks very happily running on the older gen TS-451 Celeron processor.

@anon55914447 Are you running Roon on your NAS? I think that is what the minimum spec is referring to, not sure that is clear in the documentation though?

Russ

Yes, I am running RoonServer on my NAS.

Actually, I am doing the KB a disservice, it is quite clear:

Most QNAP and Synology devices with a 64-bit Intel CPU and at least 2GB RAM are supported.

http://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Server_on_NAS

Followed by all the usual caveats about performance and why SSDs, i3/5/7, and extra RAM are great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As I said, Roon does not stop you from putting it on underspecced machines. And if Roon runs fine for you on that hardware spec. then that is great. But, each environment is different, each Roon use case is different. And each user’s expectation of what “work’s fine” is different. That is why I always suggest try it and see.

I always quote the recommended spec as minimum because that way I can reasonably expect that the person to whom I am giving advice will have a good Roon experience.

Additionally and more importantly, Roon is an ever evolving software with new features being added and old ones expanding. The devs have made no secret that the minimum requirement for a good experience or the ability to be able to use new features might require beefier hardware in the future.

Fair enough, but the statement that the minimum spec is an i3 is incorrect, and that’s all I was pointing out.

Fair enough, I edited my OP to reflect recommended.

1 Like