NAS: music recognized, playlists not

All- i have recently moved from directly attached storage to a synology NAS. I have roon server running on a mac mini, and all music & playlists on the NAS.

music is stored at musicstation/Music/Music, and playlists at music station/Music/Playlists

roon finds/watches both folders, and imports my +25k tracks w/o problem. roon will not import my playlists however.

i have tried moving up a directory, to smb://musicstation/Music and again the folder is found/watched, but no playlists. music still imports w/o a problem.

System
roon server build 161.
mac OS 10.11.5
Synology 216J NAS
25k tracks

roon settings:

Hi @woodford — Thank you for the report and my apologies for the troubles. In order for a playlist to be seen by roon the playlist and the media that is associated with must be coming fro the same watch folder so the file paths can be resolved by roon. Any deviation and the playlist will not appear.

Can you get us two pieces of information here? First, can you open one of the missing playlists in a text editor and find one of the file paths listed there?

Then, find that same file in Roon and check out the file information – you’re going to want to compare what’s in the playlist to the path Roon is looking for.

Steps

First, can you open one of the missing playlists in a text editor and find one of the file paths listed there?"

Step 1 - Highlight your M3U file, right click, select “open with”, and choose "TextEdit.

Step 2 - Once the M3U file has been opened in textedit you will see the file paths mentioned above (see example below)

Tip - Once this document has been opened, minimize it so you have it on hand for your comparison to the content in Roon.

“Then, find that same file in Roon and check out the file information – you’re going to want to compare what’s in the playlist to the path Roon is looking for.”

Step 1 - In Roon navigate to “Overview” and select “Tracks”.

Step 2 - Once all your tracks are displayed, navigate to track(s) you are trying to compare from the M3U file you opened with “notepad”. Highlight the track(s) by using the right click function (see example below).

Step 3 - Once the desired tracks have been highlighted, you will see a bar appear at the top of the screen. Click the “Track Info” icon.

Step 4 - Once opened the files paths as well as any information on the content will be displayed.

Step 5 - The paths you see highlighted in the “file info” pop are what you are going to want to compare to the M3U export which you opened with “notepad”.

-Eric

thanks @Eric.

here’s the file path from the .m3u playlist (as displayed by text edit:

file:///Volumes/Music/Music/Cassandra%20Wilson/Blue%20Light%20Til%20Dawn/10%20Tupelo%20Honey.aiff

and here’s roon:

//musicstation/Music/Music/Cassandra Wilson/Blue Light Til Dawn/10 Tupelo Honey.aiff

note that when the music and playlist files were stored on a USB attached drive, and using the same directory structure as now, they were recognized by roon.

as a followup, i used text edit to find/replace the path in the above playlist example, changing “Volumes” to “musicstation” so the playlist path now reads:

file:///musicstation/Music/Music/Cassandra%20Wilson/Blue%20Light%20Til%20Dawn/10%20Tupelo%20Honey.aiff
#EXTINF:336,Tupelo Honey
/musicstation/Music/Music/Cassandra Wilson/Blue Light Til Dawn/10 Tupelo Honey.aiff

Are you sure the '%20’s are not throwing things off. it may not get translated to spaces correctly. what if you used;

file:///musicstation/Music/Music/Cassandra Wilson/Blue Light Til Dawn/10 Tupelo Honey.aiff

dunno- i’d like to see where roon stores playlists made with the application to see how they’re formatted.

@Eric does the info above give you enough to work with?

Hi @woodford ---- My apologies for the slow response here. In reference to your question.

Roon’s playlists are stored in our database, so there’s no way to see them to compare, unfortunately. However, I do believe that @Rugby is on the the right track here in regard to making sure the paths match exactly.

-Eric

thanks- i tried editing the path and that didn’t work either. finally gave up and just recreated them, which is tedious, but works.