Native DSD on NUC\Mytek Brooklyn possible?

Yes it is directly connected via USB. Here I tried to describe the issue: How to get native DSD from ROCK to Mytek Brooklyn

yeah ok… I’m not that familiair with ROCK, but are you able to login (SSH) to it? Then we can have a look. Or the other option is to connect it (USB) to a Windows machine and you try to find the ID in the configuration menu.

Ok… I already have the answer. There’s no way to login to ROCK, so we need to try something else. Do you have a windows machine (or ideally: a Linux machine) where you can connect it with?

Yeah I’ve just tried putty but didn’t manage to log in. I’ve got Win10.

ok. then hook it up to the win10 machine, and then start the USB Device Viewer.

I’m doing it but you must tell me what the USB Device Viewer is and how to start it (sorry…)

Download this SDK and install it first: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk

it would take ages… it is the usbview.exe what’s needed isn’t it? I got it from a seperate download and started it:

Device Descriptor:
bcdUSB: 0x0200
bDeviceClass: 0xFF
bDeviceSubClass: 0x01
bDeviceProtocol: 0x00
bMaxPacketSize0: 0x40 (64)
idVendor: 0x25CE
idProduct: 0x8025
bcdDevice: 0x0200
iManufacturer: 0x01
0x0409: "Mytek Digital

Yep ok. This indeed explains why native DSD works with the Brooklyn DAC, but not with the DAC+.

Now, I’m able to patch the linux kernel (also used by ROCK), so I’ll try to do that asap and poke @danny to patch it into ROCK.

2 Likes

Cheers for that. I’m glad I could provide the necessary information. If you @spockfish and @danny need more details on the Brookly+ do not hesitate.

@spockfish – got a patch? ill patch it in

https://github.com/RoPieee/ropieee-kernel/blob/master/usb-dsd-quirks.patch

@danny I would be keen to test the patch if it’s in :blush:

@danny any followup on this? Thx

@danny @spockfish The patch didn’t get into Build 294, did it?

Hi @danny, has this patch for the brooklyn dac+ made build 294 on ROCK or not?
Don’t mind if I have to wait a bit, but if it is in 294 than it is not working for my dac+

thx

it is unrelated to Roon.

the patch made it into ROCK 1.0 (build 153)

Sorry, reading all the posts in this thread and now i’m confused. So to be certain: i am unable to play native dsd from rock to my brooklyn dac+ (the newer one), and Roon cannot solve this?

thx again

Roon can play native DSD if the drivers/underlying system supports it.

ROCK is just a custom Linux distribution. Linux has native DSD support for some devices built in, but others must be patched in. The patch above does exactly that. ROCK was using an older version of that patch until the latest build. Now it has the latest patch from above.

I am just speaking to the patch above, as I lack the Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ for testing. I know the Pro-Ject S2 was in this boat of needing the most recent patch. @brian has one of those, and tested it as working with latest ROCK.

Understood, thank you Danny!