Native DSD option not available

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8I7BEH 16gb ram, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB M.2 PCIe NVME, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB 2.5
Rock Version 1.0 (Build 175) Roon Server Version 1.6 (Build 416)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

1 GB Suddenlink cable service, Modem Motorola MB8600, Router ASUS GT-AC5300
All audio devices connected to router with Cat 7 Ethernet cables.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Denon AVR-X8500H, HDMI0 - listed to play flac files up to 192KHz. DSD (2.8 and 5.6MHz).

Description Of Issue

Attempt to play DSD 5.1 file from NUC/Rock to the Denon receiver using HDMI0.
I’ve read on this site about DSD options noted to be available in Device Setup and DSP. The options are not listed in my setup configuration.

Device Setup - no option for Exclusive Mode, DSD Playback Strategy does not list Native DSD.
DSP does not have an option to enable Native DSD.

Not overly concerned with not being able to play Native DSD, just a question of why the options are not listed in my configuration.

Because you cannot do it. Search for other threads/posts on multichannel DSD over HDMI.

Roon queries the Device and asks what formats and resolutions it can handle. Depending upon the response, Roon will only display options which are appropriate for that device.

Daniel. That is what I expected, wanted to know for sure. Roon can’t identify the device over the HDMI0 connection without Denon being in the supported device list. Thanks for the response.

Thanks Kal, I have initiated several searches but I was keying on the Native DSD option trying to find out why it wasn’t listed in my setup like it was in others. The response was as I suspected, Roon could not query the receiver to find out what it does handle. Denon is not in the device list. I did followup with your recommendation to search for DSD over HDMI.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.