Need Assistance Setting Up ARC with Roon Server and Deco Mesh Network (ref#Q0A6CV)

What’s happening?

· I'm having trouble with Roon ARC

What best describes your issue with ARC

· Other

Describe the issue

I'm starting ARC setup. My Roon Server is Roon app (2.0, build 1413) on my 2017 iMac with MacOS Ventura 13.6.7 (22G720); iPhone 12 iOS 17.5.1 with ARC app.

There are four network devices between my iMac and the Internet -
TP-Link Deco X20 #1 > Deco X20 #2 > Asus > Huawei Router > Internet:

I have: iMac Ethernet cable to >
Deco #1 satellite >
Private/Mesh WiFi to Main Deco #2 >
Ethernet cable to Asus (w/ ExpressVPN FW inside) >
Ethernet cable to phone company's Router (a Huawei EchoLife, model HG8245H from Telmex Infinitum - my ISP here in Mexico) >
Fiber to Internet (Hello World).

On my local network, I use ExpressVPN (that is custom firmware inside the Asus RT-AC56R router). ExpVPN does not support UPnP or NAT-PMP; I am manually configuring, but need an assist.

I successfully created a Rule inside both the Deco devices and the Asus/ExpVPN for Port Forwarding (Int & Ext Port 54321; Server name: Roon ARC stream; TCP protocol).

The Deco devices and the Telmex router have no UPnP or NAT-PMP. The Telmex has no Port Forwarding I can find in its interface.

Three Questions:

(1) If Port Forwarding is supported and ON, can I stop worrying about both UPnP or NAT-PMP and not use either?

(2) Might it be advisable to re-wire things - perhaps Ethernet cable direct from iMac to Telmex to Internet/fiber (skip WiFi+Mesh). And then use WiFi on iMac for local Deco stuff such as Roon Remote in iPhones & iPads? Then work with the Telmex folks to:
(a) Enable Port Forwarding in Huawei &/or
(b) UPnP or NAT-PMP.
I'm not sure if I need both a & b in this Huawei/Telmex?

(3) Or, once I get the Telmex router configured with their support folks, the other Deco & Asus Rules will mean I'll be all set to go with ARC? (I'm guessing WiFi/Mesh between the two Decos will be fine delivering my few stereo 44.1/16 ARC streams, maybe?).

Describe your network setup

The above includes all network device models and their setup (so far).

@McSteve, you have three LAN networks active, while also using a VPN which is not a supported configuration in Roon except for using Tailscale for ARC connections. I am moving this to the Tinkering section where other users may have some ideas to assist. This can be moved back to Support in the future if needed.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.