Need Help to stream DSD to SD3100HV

Hi Larry,

I just wanted to add for others reading, that if you follow Larry’s advice on HQPlayer, then you will need to use Windows or a Linux distro to run them both, not ROCK or a Nucleus, because they cannot run HQPlayer.

However, if you have a ROCK or NUcleus, you can add another PC to run HQPlayer and connect
the SD3100HV.

Cheers,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi Larry,
I am very thankful for your advice. So I have to install HQPlayer 4 Desktop into my MacBook Pro/Roon and I should be able to stream DSD to the SD3100HV by the ethernet connection. I have a Gbit internet connection. Below is the spec of my MacBook Pro, do you think it might not have the processing power to do 1024, if so what is the best solution for me.

Any ideal why I am getting a “uncertified” error on my SD3100HV. Thanks again for all the supports.

![SD3100HV Uncertified in Roon|690x431]
(upload://pZTI74Z6dC2VrCox3jAGdwN9CxB.png)

Uncertified usually means that device has not finished the certification process.

But, you would not be using that audio device in Roon if you are using HQPLayer as well. You would setup Roon to send the audio stream to HQPlayer, and from there, it is HQPlayer that manages the stream to the NAA audio device, so you would be setting up the SD3100HV in HQPlayer

Hi Lee,

the performance of your MacBook is definately not enough to do DSD1024.
DSD 1024 is VERY demanding - I use a Core i9-9900K (8 cores) @ 3.6 GHz plus a Geforce GTX2060 graphics card as co-processor to do DSD1024 and this is really needed.

For DSD512 the limits are well below that and a core i7 normally will be ok - at least on Windows and Linux machines - I have not tried it on a Mac though.

as a point of reference… i am using an i7 8700 processor for dsd512 upsampling from roon ROCK running on a DIY dedicated server/streamer. performance is solid and roon reports the processing speed as 2.8x which i believe corresponds to a cpu utilization of ~36%

I am very grateful to all for your response in helping me to stream DSD to SD3100HV. So now I know that I need a new laptop if I want to stream DSD 1024. I found the ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo UX581GV-H2037T (Windows 10) pretty similar to the spec Larry recommended at $3.7K. If I just stream limited DSD with the Macbook Pro and HQPlayer for now, do I have to pay additional cost for the Roon and HQPlayer softwares when I decide to migrate to ASUS Zenbook Pro Windows 10 later?
Appreciate all the supports from the community.

Well, actually, not quite. That is a mobile CPU. Everyone has been recommending desktop CPUs. Even though a mobile CPU might say i9 it is not as powerful as the desktop version. Likewise, that NVIDIA card may have the same Number but the mobile version is not the same as the desktop version.

And if high rate DSD by HQPlayer is what you are after you need a powerful desktop CPU AND a good NVIDIA card. Especially if you want to use the EC versions.

Daniel Beyer,
Thanks for the note of caution as I am not aware that the mobile CPU capability is not as powerful as the desktop CPU version. Due to space constrain in my listening room, I only have a 20 inches diameter coffee table beside the listening chair where I set the Macbook Pro. Looks like I have to shelf the idea of streamining DSD 1024 and make do with the HQPlayer and Roon in the MacBook Pro. Here again I am very thankful for all the help.

Can you put it in another room? The machine I use for HQPlayer heavy lifting is in my basement office, nowhere near my critical listening environment.

my home was built almost 30 years ago so I only have phone connection points all over the house for internet. With the change in technology, I have installed 5 wifi mesh to surf the net. Only lately I ran a two 80 feet surface mount Belden CAT 7 cables from router to the listening room. I can put it in another room but on WIFI by the mesh. Thanks.

Downloaded the trial HQPlayer today. Unable to configure HQP to the SD3100HV. The music Roon/HQP only from the MacBook Pro speakers. Need to access the HQP File/Settings but I cannot locate this menu. Need help. Thanks

You do not setup HQPlayer in Roon, you set it up in HQPlayer, In Roon all you can tell Roon is to send the audio file to HQPlayer. What happens after that is configured in HQPlayer.

You might post a screen shot of HQPlayer, but generally here is my HQPlayer with NAA setup. Open HQPlayer, file settings and then

1. under backend choose NetworkAudioAdapter

2. Under devices choose the NAA device on your network that HQPlayer will send the audio

Remember with HQPlayer, Roon basically becomes a front end and after you send the audio to HQPlayer, it takes over all processing and music distribution.

hello Daniel, very thankful for your help but I am unable to locate the File Settings Menu like yours. Below are the File Menu of the HQPlayer in my MacBook Pro. All the File Settings, DSD Source, Export and Import is nothing similar to your File Settings.

I am unable to setup the HQP to link to the SD3100HV according to Page 44 of the T+A SD3100HV User Manual with the NAA input on the SD3100HV.

On the HELP Menu there is a Register Selection. Do I need to Register for this Trial Version?
Thanks

As you can see my screen clips are from an Evaluation installation as well. However, I’m on Windows and have no idea where the File/Settings might be on a MAC installation.

Hi Daniel,
Finally found the File/Settings from Preference. Unable to output above DSD64 as it stutter. At DSD CPU usage average 165%. Any actions to improve. Many thanks.

Try playing around with different Oversampling choices, the Modulator choices. I noticed you are playing a DSD 512 source. Does it stutter if you play a DSD 64 source?

The bottom line is that when you start getting to high DSD rates, you need power. I"m not sure what CPU is in that Mac. One person that can provide insight would be @jussi_laako.

Processing DSD512 sources to another DSD rate is pretty heavy. You could play DSD512 files as they are by selecting “Direct SDM” in DSD Sources dialog. Note that this will disable the volume control too!

After selecting “Direct SDM”, I was very surprised that the CPU usage of the HQPlayer reduced to <3% with a DSD512 output to the SD3100HV.

@jussi_laako Please advise the configuration of the HQPlayer the I may be able to output a DSD1024 to the SD3100HV.
I am very grateful for all the supports. Many thanks to ALL.

Either you need such material, or you need faster computer to process some other source to DSD1024 output.