Need to restart core on MacOS for remote access from iOS

Roon Core Machine

MacOS 11.5.1
iMac
2019 iMac 8 core 3.6GHz i9, 40GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Router: Asus RT-AC68U
Switch: Cisco SG300-28 28-Port Gigabit Managed Switch (currently bypassed)
Ethernet CAT-6 to all streamers
WiFi to all iOS devices (remotes)

Connected Audio Devices

SoTM SMS-200 Ultra Neo - Roon
Allo Digi One (SPDIF) - Roon and Airplay
Airport express x4 (Airplay2)
Apple HomePod mini

Library Size

21,038 tracks

Description of Issue

My iMac runs the standalone Roon Server core and optionally the Roon interface as an endpoint. The core is run from my account which is always logged in from boot. My wife uses the iMac during the day and is logged in with her account, but my account remains logged in. This usually works fine.

I have found a few times that I cannot access the Roon interface from an iPhone or iPad after my wife has been logged in. Actually I’m not sure if this issue is related to her being logged in at all? Once this happens if I then log back onto the iMac I can see that the Roon Server is running and the Roon interface running on the same machine can access the core, but no iOS devices. Even after I log back in the iPhone will not connect. The only way to fix it is to kill the RoonServer and restart it.

I have tried all the iPhone app network settings and I have tried running the core on only Ethernet and also Wifi as well (to the same router on the same network).

Any ideas?

Update:
This is not an issue with the iOS apps. Now that I have moved back to my work machine (Macbook Pro on the same network) it’s Roon client cannot find the Core either.

I believe this may be an issue with the Roon Servers’ ability to advertise itself?
Does it use Bonjour, or some Broadcast protocol?

Hey @Simon_Block,

Thanks for getting in touch and sharing the context and issue you’re experiencing.

I just wanted to clarify, when you say that your wife logs in on the iMac, are you referring to a different Roon account than yours, or that she is using her profile in Roon?

If I understand correctly, your iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro cannot connect to your Roon Core (iMac). Are there any remotes that can connect with it?

I’d like to make sure: do you have any antivirus or firewall installed? If so, could you please temporarily disable it and see if your remotes connect to the Core?

Thanks in advance :pray:

Disable firewall in the Mac computer running Roon Core.

In the AC68U, enable multicast routing in LAN - IPTV. Then reboot the Roon Core and all endpoints including all Apple devices.

If that does not help, try enabling IGMP Snooping in Wireless - Professional. Then reboot all WiFi devices.

Thanks for the reply,

I’m referring to my wife logging into the Mac computer with her user account, not her Roon profile. The Server is running under my account and even so I remain logged in and the server running, she may log in during the day.

All remotes appear to lose the core. I noticed that even the Roon client running on the same machine appears logged in, but if try to play music it is not responsive till you restart the server.

However I think i may have discovered the issue. I had installed a Roon plugin for HomeBridge from here:

This appears to be early and still under development and it does not work very well. But I have disabled it and the issue now does not appear to happen, but I’ll know for sure in the next few days as my wife uses the computer.

One thing that would be great is to be able to control the IR on my amps from Roon via a plugin. There is a very convenient plugin for HomeBridge (for Apple HomeKit) that does this via a cheap IR and RF transceiver here:

I would love this for Roon with controls embedded with the audio zone.

Cheers.

Cheers but all that is good. See comment above.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.