Network Error: Please check your internet connection

@support Network Error: Please check your internet connection

I am new to Roon so I apologies for any stupidity but I installed the Roon player and the Roon Server on my 2017 MBP last night for the very first time and when i go to login or even click ‘Reset Password’ it give me the ‘Network Error: Please check your internet connection’.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

Alex

Hi @Alex_Campbell ---- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated and sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, can you please confirm if during your troubleshooting of this behavior you have tried rebooting not only the MBP but any relevant networking hardware as well, say for example, your router?

Additionally, does the MBP have any active firewalls or antivirus application currently running on it? Are you by chance running “little snitch”

-Eric

Hi Eric,
Thanks for contacting me.
I am using Intego’s AntiVirus and Firewall bundle, in addition I am using Little Snitch but only in silent mode.
I have rebooted the MPB and the home networking equipment.
Thanks again!
Alex

Hi @Alex_Campbell ----- Thank you for the follow up and providing the requested information. Appreciated!

Continuing forward, as a test would you kindly please try temporarily disabling the “Intego AntiVirus and Firewall bundle” and verifying what the experience is like with these functions offline.

-Eric

Good morning Eric

Little Snitch was the culprit, as soon as I uninstalled it Roon started working.
I was up all night playing with roon, it’s amazing!!!

Question, if the only way I currently play music from a remote roon app on my iPad is to keep the roon manager open on my mac, can I install server and that will play the same function but without the player needing to be open?

Thank you!

Alex

Hi @Alex_Campbell ---- Thank you for touching base with me, very pleased to hear the adjustment did the trick :+1:

“Question, if the only way I currently play music from a remote roon app on my iPad is to keep the roon manager open on my mac, can I install server and that will play the same function but without the player needing to be open?”

In regard to your question, yes that is exactly correct. RoonServer does not have a graphic interface and will run in the background of whatever device it is installed on. I think it is important to point out that the device RS is installed on must remain active in order for your devices to control/communicate with the application successfully.

If you’re intention is to host RS on the mentioned MBP you will need to adjust some of your power/sleep settings. I did some research on the community site and a user whom I helped some time ago mentioned that they are using the following settings on their OSX based Roon core:

For future reference and perhaps for other users the mac system settings I changed were:

• “Desktop & Screen Saver” set to “Never”

• “Energy Saver” set to “Prevent computer from sleeping…” and disabled “Put hard disks to sleep”

I then set a schedule to wake the computer at a certain time of day and shut down at night.

Additionally, and this is just something to think about in regard to your use of ROON moving forward. Many of our users, myself included, have dedicated machines that are used solely to run Roon. There are many affordable options out in the world and I would considered checking out the community site as well as our knowledge base to see what is available.

-Eric

Eric,

Great, thank you. I have an old imac i dusted off last night which i will make in to a roon server!
Roon really takes music to the next level, I cannot wait to see what Roon has got planned for the future!

Thank you!

Alex
Forever Roon Subscriber

@Alex_Campbell ----- Leaving this hear for you just so you have it handy when considering setting up your old iMac :wink:

Roon Knowledge Base: What are the minimum requirements to run Roon?

Happy listening!
-Eric

Thanks again!

Eric

In case you wanted to look in to the Little Snitch issue further, it blocks roon because it deems the code signature invalid.

Thanks,

Alex

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.