Network Error When Identifying

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS1515+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

T-Mobile Cellspot Router
TL-SG2216 Switch
Ethernet and WiFi devices.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

• Ethernet Connected PC
  • Macbook
  • iOS Devices
  • Apple Homepods
  • DietPi Roon RP3 Endpoints

Description Of Issue

When attempting to identify an album I encounter a network error. Newly added music is recognized, and playable, but does not show Roon-applied album information (bio, etc.).

Is this a high speed connection or cellular…Roon is quite heavy on internet connectivity and could be an issue for connections less than 50-100mbps

If you run a speedtest.net test what is the result?

Thanks @wizardofoz for the reply.

Is this a high speed connection or cellular…

The WiFi Cellspot Router, a rebranded Asus RT-AC68U, shouldn’t be the culprit. I’ve used it since I purchased Roon a few years ago with no issue. I just noticed this Roon behavior in the last few weeks, and search/playback seems to be working as normal.

If you run a speedtest.net test what is the result?

I’m currently getting DOWNLOAD Mbps 153.10 and UPLOAD Mbps 11.31 to my Ethernet-connected PC. My Synology Core is ethernet-connected, with link aggregation, to the same switch.

[Edited for formatting.]

Ok so what about your dns settings seeing as your network speeds certainly seems to be up to it.

As you say this used to work I’m assuming maybe there was some update to your core os perhaps?

Regarding the DNS settings, is their a procedure I should be following? Happy to check detailed settings if you can provide me some direction.

As you say this used to work I’m assuming maybe there was some update to your core os perhaps?

Any update would have been to the Synology core OS. Perhaps @crieke is aware of a known issue or likely culprit?

What’s peculiar is if I de-authorize my Synology and switch to using my Windows 10 PC as the core, I don’t notice the same issue. That would suggest one of the following is causing the issue:

• Synology Device
  • Synology Network Connection
  • Synology OS

Have you already tried to stop and start Roon Server on your Synology?

Hi @Michael_Merline,

Can you confirm that you can access the internet from the Synology? Are you able to start Roon Radio or play Internet Radio stations?

Is there any change if you reboot the device?

@dylan:

Can you confirm that you can access the internet from the Synology?

At least parts of the Synology are able to access the internet. The system can pull updates from the cloud.

Is there a particular setting to check?

Are you able to start Roon Radio or play Internet Radio stations?

I keep encountering a “Roon could not find a radio station at this URL” error. If I use the same URL on the Windows 10 core, I’m able to connect to the station and play it successfully.

Is there any change if you reboot the device?

Rebooting the Synology did not resolve the issue. Manually identifying an album isn’t working (timeout) and albums added in the last few days only show the basic tag metadata coded in the original files.

Hi @Michael_Merline,

Based on what you’re experiencing here it seems as though your Core isn’t able to reach our servers.

Do you have any firewalls running on the Synology? If you disable them is there any change?

Have you tried using a different Ethernet cable with the Synology?

Make sure you have your router IP address and at least one public IP address for your dns settings…8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1 are good public ones

I have a four-cable aggregated link to my switch. The Windows 10 core is still playing the same files, stored on the NAS.

Based on that information, I don’t think the cables are causing the issue, because the LAN is working as intended. Sounds like connection to the web is a likely culprit.

Hi @Michael_Merline,

Thanks for confirming. My guess is this is most likely limited to the Synology’s ability to connect to our servers, but I’d like to verify this by trying another Core. If you run the Core on Windows instead of the Synology, does this same behavior occur?

If you run the Core on Windows instead of the Synology, does this same behavior occur?

I just switched back to the Windows 10 core (connected to the same switch via Ethernet and reading the same files stored on the Synology) and am able to identify a newly added album. A few albums that are still unidentified on the Synology core are correctly identified on the Windows 10 core.

Thanks for confirming this, @Michael_Merline.

Can you set the Synology to use Google DNS and see if that changes anything?

1 Like

I updated the Synology to use Google DNS—that update resolved the issue.

I have my router configured to utilize 1.1.1.1 DNS at the network level. Is there any reason that setup would prevent Roon or Synology via Roon from working as intended?

1 Like

told ya :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.