Network Share Stopped Working

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus+, Version 1.0, build 174

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Synology 1512+ NAS
NetGear Switch, Core is connected via Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

DCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Ethernet connection), and DCS Vivaldi DAC (AES Connections)

Description Of Issue

My music library files reside on a my NAS, and I share them over the local network. The Nucleus+ has been connected to the NAS since I bought it, right after it first came out. My configuration has been working, stable, and unchanged for well over a year. Suddenly, the Core on the Nucleus+ cannot see the network share for the music files. The Share is available to other devices on my network, the NAS is running fine with no errors.

The only change to any component in the chain is the NAS, and that was the the most recent update to DSM 6.2 (version 6.2.2-24922-1). SMB1 is still enabled, with SMB3 being the top end of the available range, and SMB1 the minimum. I tried resetting the NAS to exclusively use SMB1, but got the same result.

The Roon configuration, the share has long been set up as \BOSS3\Music, with a login ID/account specific to Roon. I have tried adding a new share using the NAS’s IP address, but get the “unexpected error” message.

Hi @Jamie_Lewis,

Is there any change if you try rebooting the Core, NAS and Network? I would power all of these off and wait 30 seconds and then power them on again. I would also request a screenshot of the SMB settings you are using, and you can share screenshots by using these instructions.

If rebooting all the devices does not help, can you confirm if you are able to use the IP address to connect to the share? More info for connecting via IP address can be found here. If the IP address works, you might want to look into Address Reservation on your router.

Rebooting was the first thing I tried, but I just tried again to be sure, shutting down my router, switch, Nucleus+, and NAS, waiting a few minutes and then rebooting them all. Still the same behavior.

As I said in the first post, I already tried logging in using the NAS’s IP address, and it does not work. I have had this NAS for quite some time, and it has always had the same IP address reserved in my router’s config.

Since this overall config has remain untouched for over a year (and working), it’s a mystery why it stopped . . . .

I have provided the screen shots you requested, plus a few more.

one more screen shot of the rest of the Advanced Settings under the SMB section of the File Services config for the NAS

Hi @Jamie_Lewis,

Thank you for sharing those screenshots. I am wondering if perhaps the Synology update reverted your Open vSwitch settings by any chance, see this thread: Lost my KEF LS 50 wireless connection [Solved - Synology had "Enable Open Vswitch" turned on]

This is possibly not related, but would be a good aspect to check next. Also, it appears that you have a workgroup of “WORKGROUP” set on the NAS, is there any change if you add this to the Roon IP config?

No, Open VSwitch setting is not enabled.
And no, adding WORKGROUP (which isn’t required) does not work.

Managed to resolve this, but I’m not sure how.

First, I simply created a new user ID/PW on the NAS, used that ID/PW for the Nucleus, and it logged in fine. The previous ID/PW had worked for over a year, and I have no expiration on it. After it stopped working, I changed the password for the existing user ID to see if that would help. It did not, but for some reason the new user ID worked.

Second, I restored a backup from a week ago–which I assume uses the old user ID/PW, and it works fine.

I have no clue as to why any this happened. o.O

Hi @Jamie_Lewis,

Thank you for the update here, and glad to hear that things are working after configuring the new ID/PW for the NAS. I am not sure why this kind of behavior would occur after the Synology DSM update, but glad to hear that you were able to resolve it!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.