Network Sharing in Windows 10

Hi Geoff,

The old win 10 laptop was setup by an IT person that I dont have access to. Yes, It has the same username and password. Could that be the issue?

Yep, I gave access to the folder to Everyone, but not working

Can you access the shared folder from another computer on the network? To see if its Roon or the network settings? My guess is it is the network settings.

I can access from either of my laptops

This is what I shared:

have you tried just entering the path with no other fields filled in?

This is what it shows:

Also check “advanced sharing settings” (this is how mine are set):

Thanks, Bear. I know I have seen those screens but I am not sure where. When I go into advanced sharing for the Music file this is what I get.

If you type “Advanced sharing settings” into the search bar on the start bar:

Or go to control panel and look under “network and internet/network and sharing center” and on the left pane click on “change advanced sharing settings”

Sorry that this is giving so much trouble - can I just check something? You say that you have the same username and password on both laptops.

On the new laptop (the one that you can’t connect to), open the Windows Terminal app (click on Start, type term in the Search field so that Windows suggests the Windows Terminal app, and click on that).

Then, at the Terminal’s prompt, type whoami press Enter and tell us the result. Thanks.

I found with windows 10 shares I could not use my windows user account to access them over the network. Had to create a different user and give it permissions to access. I tried and tried every other way and this was the only thing that worked. They revoked guest access some time ago and I did read something somewhere about it not liking using the main user account. So I made a Roon user and give it user permissions to access the share and it worked using that going forward.

1 Like

Indeed, this could be the reason. I also made a separate set of credentials for a user called roon to store Roon backups on a Windows network share some time ago, and this worked without issue.

Have you tried typing DLM\billp as your username?

That should not be necessary (including the machine name along with the username). The username alone is sufficient (at least, on all the occasions over the years that I’ve had to do it…).

Correct, but it’s worth a shot just in case it’s a domain and not a machine, and we don’t know that.

1 Like

Good point - and apparently the old machine was “set up by IT support”… :upside_down_face:

That’s exactly what I was thinking!

dlm\billp is what it came back with.

dlm\billp is what it came back with