Network switch helpful with Linn + Roon?

Hi all–

I was looking into a Linn Klimax. Linn seems to strongly recommend using a network switch (i assume connected to the Linn streamer and the Roon core? though its unclear to me what the benefit is) rather than connecting to the router. Was wondering if folks found there was a benefit (either reliability / connectability or sound quality) to adding a network switch

I run a KDS/3 Organik and originally had both core and KDS directly connected to the router. I’ve recently had a rejig of the house network, though, and now they both connect via Netgear GS108 switches.
Absolutely no difference in performance or sound quality.

Michael

3 Likes

Thanks Michael–

to ask a dumb question, is the reason you have a switch because you’re running wires behind a wall (from cable modem/router to the switch) and this way you can have multiple wired connections in a location away from the router? It is to run faster speeds on the local network? (i.e. 10gbe vs. a router that may just have 1gbe?) or is there some function of a switch that i’m missing?

would also appreciate any thoughts (or even just a thumbs up/down) on how you like the KDS/3 Organik (both standalone and paired with Roon)

I added the switch as I had to add some devices in our (very small!) loft conversion so I decided to put the NUC there as well. The KDS is connected to the router via another switch which also has an Apple TV, a Samsung television and a Blu-ray player hanging off it.
The Organik update I had done last summer after hearing a dem between my then Katalyst KDS and the dealer’s upgraded-to-Organik KDS. For me it was a no brainer, despite the cost.
If you’re considering Organik I would definitely recommend a dem - it might be that you don’t feel it’s worth it.

Michael

Thanks Michael! Based on a perfunctory demo comparison on the dealer’s setup (which can best be described as aspirational), I liked what i heard then when i heard about the price increase i pulled the trigger. My system-build is nascent and this and a pair of headphones / headphone amp are the only ‘end-game’ components i have; i’ll look to backfill the rest of the system when my life is a bit less nomadic.

appreciate the feedback, super helpful!

1 Like

I run two Klimax systems with Roon. Linn networking, and especially how it connects with the Roon core, seems to work better with simple unmanaged switches, because some routers and managed switches come out of the box with features enabled that get in the way. I use a switch connected to the main router, to the Roon core, and to the Klimax DSM. The cheap Gigabit Unmanaged Switch Series - GS105 | NETGEAR works fine, but I confess that I’m now using refurbished Cisco switches so that I can use optical for the switch<->Klimax connection.

2 Likes

I did use Netgear GS105 but changed to Cisco Meraki Go 8 Port Switch (GS110-8-HW-EU) due to SFP - see below.

Torben

1 Like

I use an Innuos PhoenixNet, it definitely improved the sound.

1 Like

Thanks all. For those that went fiber, did you notice an appreciable difference?

and thank you torben for the quite detailed diagram.

Actually, switching from GS105 to WS-C2960CG was the more noticeable difference (as evaluated by an independent listener), even before switching from cat 6 to SFP.

1 Like

Same here :slight_smile: Even from multimode to single mode (SFP)

Torben

I used Linn ADSM/3 few years and originally had some problems with roon connectivity and function. Linn used to drop playback. I even bought a new network card for my PC trying to solve this. I got Netgear GS105 switch which helped with connection reliability and surprisingly also with sound quality. My recommendation is to never connect your audio gear directly to ethernet wall socket. Get at least a basic $10 switch in between to work as a filter.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right.

Torben

1 Like

Thanks for the link Fernando.