Network upgrade/tidy up

Very nice setup. Running a similar one at home. At the time a Unifi USG Pro 4 with fan modification :smiley:
But I’m looking for the new Dream Machine Pro.

1 Like

I wish my wires looked so good, I just adopt the out of sight principal.

That MINISCULE crimping tool was a pain to me , the Network cable tester should be in every toolkit

Maybe now you have time you can take up knitting with the left overs :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Boy o boy are you right about this! Certainly one of my least favorite “features” of this vintage of Ubiquiti gear! I’m about to embark on plans to something like this in a new house and thought of upgrading to the UDM Pro too.

1 Like

FYI I restored a udmp settings backup to a cloud key gen 1 and iirc it worked. Waiting to get my demo usg3 back to retry it again, in case I ever need it

Wow you are my Hero…dont have as much to connect but for years I have been trying to get my house set up properly with my communication connections. I called an electric contract , they said they don’t do that, I spoke with Best Buy people ( that scared me but I was desperate , they of course don’t do the job to the extent I’m looking for. Who does this that doesn’t cost beyond a small home project ?

Graeme thanks for the recommendation for the Rackstuds, I ordered some yesterday and received them today.

I installed a rack mount sonicwall in a tight spot where we could not get any rack mount fittings in as there was no space.

They are a lovely concept that have been very well executed.

1 Like

There are quite a lot of electricians/electrical contractors who can install network cabling. In fact, the guy who installed my solar PV system yesterday can also do network cabling. It’s worth calling a few contractors to see who could do it.

Or, if you’re handy in any way, you could learn to do it yourself. I’m completely self-taught. I figured out networking connections in the days when Cat5 was the standard and YouTube wasn’t a thing…

The tools required are very basic - a pair of wire cutters, a network cable stripper and a punch-down tool. A network cable tester is also very useful (essential in my opinion, it saves a lot of frustration!) If you want to make custom patch leads, some plugs and a crimping tool. You can buy the whole lot in a kit for about £/€30.

Ethernet cable cores are colour-coded, patch panels and wall socket modules are also colour coded. Match the wire colour to the terminal colour and you’re done! There are two common wiring schemes; 568A and 568B. 568B is the more commonly used scheme. The only difference between them is that the orange and green pairs are reversed.

Have a search on YouTube for some videos on how to make network terminations. It’s really easy when you know how!

Haha, yes, they’re awesome in tight spots where you can’t get a screwdriver onto the fastener! They’re also great for locating switches etc. that don’t have rack rails, while you do up the fasteners. Beats trying to hold something in place while you fiddle with the screws and try to locate them in the cage nuts.

I saw a video on YouTube the other day - a couple of guys tested them to destruction with a 1U rack-mounted shelf. They loaded it up to 85lbs with barbell discs before the studs failed!

1 Like

Well I won’t be testing that level of weight :smile_cat:

I have a lot of heavy comms equipment coming into the office soon and that will be a good test.

1 Like

Cloud Key Gen 2+ works nicely as NVR for 4ish cameras. POE switch will be nice tool.

2 Likes

I plan to add 3 more cameras at some point so should be good for all those. The USW16 PoE replaces my existing US8 60W PoE.as I had ran out of ports so was essential to keep PoE or all my aps and two other PoE US 8 switches. The US8 will be repurposed in the garden room/office in slimline data cabinet rather than buy another PoE swtich to feed everything in there plus the new wifi6 ap for the room/s.

1 Like

Do these provide galvanic isolation from the rack rails? Yes, I may be interested. Navigating the Web site is super-annoying though.

I have much of my hi fi system in a cabinet I fitted with rack rails. They are threaded rails. Would I have to drill them out, or get new rails?

I use “Humfrees” to prevent ground loops. They are less annoying to install than shoulder washers, but only slightly.

Thanks for any information as I am having a hard time getting answers to my questions from the Web site.

Nice network rack. I only have about a dozen or so nodes on my network, so it would be overkill for me. I have the same love-hate relationship. All my Roon end points are wired.

They will provide galvanic isolation as the rackstuds are plastic and create an insulated space between the rack rail and the equipment.

They’re designed to fit standard rack rails with square holes, so your threaded rack rails would need to be changed.

Thanks. I saw the rails with square holes, later (on the Amazon product page). I’ve been around racks in network closets, broadcast plants and laboratories for most of my adult working life and I have never seen rails with square holes. I’m in the US, though, and it may be different where you are. It may be worth changing them out, if I can get them.

I like to have not more then neaded, that is enough for me.

I just got my unifi protect cameras into HomeKit via HomeBridge on a RPi4 along with my Sensibo AC control and roon endpoints via the Roon Extension on HomeBridge too. Was surprisingly easy when I got my head around the interfaces.

1 Like