New albums not added unless restart of Core

I’m experiencing the same exact issue being reported by Quentin.
Synology DS1019+ running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2
Roon 1.7 (build 667)

The recent activity screen shows that the last music added successfully occurred 30 days ago, which indicates to me that it was working fine in build 610 and that build 667 appears to have broken it. I’ve never had this particular issue with my current Synology setup, which has been in place since April 2019.

Please fix this. Thanks.

1 Like

Hi,

The Roon @support team prefer one topic per customer’s issue… so they are able to track it and focus on each individual problem. hence I split out your topic.

In order for Roon’s @support team to better assist you, please provide a brief description of your current setup using this link as a guide.

Make sure to describe your network configuration/topology, including any networking hardware currently in use, so they can have a clear understanding of how your devices are communicating.

A post was split to a new topic: Core needs to be restarted to see new added albums

Hello @fifolifo, my apologies for the issue. If you could please provide the details carl requested and let me know if forcing a rescan of your watched folder brings in the new track that would be great. Please also include a screenshot of Settings>Storage, thanks!

Hi @nuwrly. Yes, a “Force Rescan” will bring in the new albums/tracks.

I only included the information that seemed relevant to the problem that I was reporting, but here is the additional info per the linked guide from @carl.

Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
Synology DS1019+ running DSM 6.2.3-25426 Update 2. Roon Ver. 1.7 (build 667) Stable

Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)
Win10 Pro 64bit installed on 2.5" 500GB ssd, i7-8700, 32GB memory, Roon Ver. 1.7 (build 667) Stable (64bit)

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)
Wired 1Gb ethernet using HP Enterprise and Ubiquiti switches

Audio devices in use
multiple Squeezebox touch units, various airplay devices, and OPPO 205.

Library details (where your music is stored, whether you’re using a streaming service, how many tracks are in your library)
Library is stored on a SMB share on my Synology. SMB protocol support is set to SMB2 and SMB3 only. SMB1 protocol support is not enabled.
20274 tracks, 1595 albums.

Why are you SMB mounting your music folder in Roon? Your music files are in a folder on the same Synology as your Roon Core?

@ogs. I don’t understand where your confusion lies, but this site has the instructions on installing Roon on a Synology. https://roononnas.org/en/roon-on-nas/

The RoonServer is the core and it is it’s own shared folder which is on a mirrored ssd storage pool for speed. The RoonMusic shared folder contains all of my music and is on different storage pool on a raided spinning disk array.

Sorry, I’m not familiar with Synology. So the only connection you have between pools on the Synology is SMB? Your RoonMusic folder is not available as a *nix path on the Synology file system?

I’m not sure what specifically you mean by connection, but perhaps, this will help. Both pools and the two shared folders, RoonServer and RoonMusic, are on the same Synology device. I use SMB so that I can connect to the RoonMusic folder and move my newly acquired music into it. And these new music files would show up almost immediately in Roon prior to build 667. There’s nothing unusual about this setup that I’ve been running since April 2019.

I get that. I’m actually a bit surprised file discovery has worked before. SMB is a network protocol and is correctly used if you access files on your NAS from a Windows PC for example. But SMB is known not to transfer file system changes (inode activity) from Linux. That is probably the change you experience now.
On the RoonOnNAS site it’s stated that you can have less network traffic as Roon and the music files are on the same box: “Compared to using your NAS just as a storage for Roon, you’ll save network bandwidth when running your core on the NAS, as Roon Server can access all music files locally
Roon should be able to access the files directly on the local file system while your PC can access the same folder simultaneously via SMB.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.