New Alert Icon Present "Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update."

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
iMac/Catalina 10.15.7/Roon 1.7 Build 610

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Fast Track Duo (Avid)

Description Of Issue
Everything was fine yesterday, nothing has changed on my computer to my knowledge. As of this morning I’ve got a caution triangle at the top of Roon that says “Adding Music To Library: Complete” and then has an exclamation point icon and says

“Metadata Improver: Halted. Roon needs a software update.”

However, in the About screen Roon is telling me I have the latest version installed.

If I click into an artist it only shows me titles that are in my library and there’s no way to see “other titles”. No recommended albums, new releases, or anything non-library is showing up on my Overview screen either. If I click into a suggested playlist it returns as “this playlist is empty”. I do NOT have “Show only titles in my library” selected, and toggling back and forth makes no difference. If I search an album or an artist that isn’t present in my library, I get no results.

Multiple restarts haven’t changed this. Any ideas?

Typically that message persists when Roon can’t reach their backend services … I’d suggest a full reboot of your network gear and the Roon core.

If that does not work, I’m out of suggestions and Roon’s @support will have to looked deeper.

Ok yeah, it’s worse than I thought - did a full reboot and now some more things are showing up (but some with weird metadata, like the new Dawes album is showing a picture of Bono as it’s cover artwork) but I can’t play anything through Roon that isn’t local, it just spins indefinitely.

Hey @support, I’m gonna need a hand here.

Whilst wait for Roon’s team, a couple of more things to try:

Roon --> Settings --> Setup --> Clear Image Cache

Roon --> Settings --> Services --> Tidal (and/or Qobuz) --> Edit --> logout (then sign in once more)

Thanks Carl - this may be a very naive question, but I’ve done EXTENSIVE customizing of images and meta-data; will clearing the image cache hurt any of that?

And, when I go to sign out of Qobuz it says

“are you sure you want to remove this account information?”

which sounds equally terrifying and like I’ll lose a ton of customization work…

Hi,

It’s always good to double check, however, all is good … it’s not destructive.

I’m cautious too, that’s why I have my Roon system configured to take a backup of Roon database each night, and I keep 99 copies. (Disk Space is cheap, time is not.)

And my music library has two backups, one local, one off site.

Thanks for the tips, but yeah, nothing changed except I’m back to the original scenario where nothing plays that isn’t local (Qobuz and Tidal both work fine in their native apps), screens are loading exceptionally slow, playlists with non-library selections are showing as empty, and there’s some weird album artwork stuff going on. I’m kinda dead in the water here @support, so I’m anxiously awaiting some help.

Oh yeah, the caution triangle is also gone now. Again, really hoping for some support here after several hours of being down, thank you.

Hi, what’s the typical response time for @support? Just curious, since being without Roon for the weekend is a MAJOR bummer and I see responses to other threads and would like to know what I could expect some help. Thanks.

In case Roon support answers after weekend. I had same problems and only thing that helped me was to change DNS address to Cloudflare. BUT today Tidal and metadata problems came back even when using Cloudflare.

I feel you angst, but to be fair you posted about it 1 day ago not 2.

I can’t speak for Roon, but as an observer Roon’s support at the weekend is always slower than Monday to Friday.

Yeah, that’s fair—sorry, just frustrated. I’m gonna delete these last few because I don’t want to come across as snarky. And also because I think I just figured out the problem—I am using PrivateInternetAccess VPN, which had a recent update. When I shut off the VPN, poof, everything is fine. I’ve been dealing with their customer service and they’re absolutely no help… even when I put Roon in a “don’t use VPN” category, it doesn’t work. Am going to see if BitDefender’s works better.

1 Like

FYI, Roon appears to be working just fine with BitDefender’s VPN, so I’m gonna kick PIA to the curb. might as well keep things consolidated to fewer packages anyway. Thanks @Carl and @ds_2!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.