New Core Machine?

Hi All,

Just over a year with roon now and very happy but I have issues that are causing me grief. I’m running a Mac mini (i3 4gbRam 500gb HDD) as a core and using an iPad or MacBook pro as a remote. I have four Bluesound endpoints two NAD MDC v2 cards (M32 and DD390) and two Pulse Mini2i speakers everything is hard wired on home plugs except one of the Pulse minis and the mini which are wireless.

Everything works flawlessly until the mini needs an input for some update or information I need to acknowledge, it needs rebooting because roon loses tidal or just decides it needs rebooting and its old and slow at rebooting (just like me)

I set it to turn off at midnight and back on at 8am so rebooting itself once a day and that reduced the problem of missing core a lot but still its once or twice a week its “looking for core” a real first world problem you’ll agree.

So I’m looking to change the core I’m thinking bluesound Vault, can roon be installed on that? or a newer mini (which could do double duites as a desktop) or one of the fancier NAS drives?

Would this solve the glitches or is rebooting the modern equivalent of the HB pencil in the cassette tape?

Thanks James

I has something similar. An exercise in frustration. Mini simply not up to the task of running Roon Core.

If you’re buying a NAS just to run Roon, that isn’t a good idea, IMHO.

Try an i3 or i5 NUC. Cheaper than a new Mini or NAS (fancy or otherwise) and more competent.

As an example -

1 Like

The device Roon is virtually devised to run on is a NUC. Put your music on a second drive, back it up to a portable drive and you have a pretty robust system. There is always the possibility there are other issues at play but a NUC, ROCK and on board or USB attached storage is optimal and if you are sticking with Roon you might as well go all in.

Thanks guys, I’m already all in, moved from airplay to blue sound because of roon and tidal, what does bare bones mean what else will I need?

James

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit
You need a keyboard, mouse and monitor to set it up. I’d put the drive inside as a 2.5 inch SATA SSD.

So this, from your link

Intel NUC NUC8i3BEH Mini PC/HTPC, Intel Core i3-8109U 3.0GHz, 8GB DDR4, 240GB SSD, Windows 10 Pro, WiFi, Bluetooth, 4k Support, Dual Monitor Capable (i3 NUC Tall 8GB RAM + 240GB SSD)

It needs some OS?

Sorry last PC I built was a P120 with PCi and VLB, I’m rusty

James

ROCK is your OS.

that doesn’t look so easy, am I wrong?

Lenovo M720 Tiny, i5, 8gb, 256gb m2, Windows 10, about $600.

Well, I found it pretty straightforward. YMMV.

It’s really not that hard. Putting the Nuc together takes 10 minutes. Making the changes to the BIOS to get proper boot order can be a little confusing because Roon’s instructions on how to do so are not consistent with current 8th generation Nucs. That said, everyone gets through it and feels good about having done it themselves. If you run into issues or have questions, the Roon Community is ready to help.
If ROCK simply seems too daunting, you can load Windows 10, but then you are back to the update dance.

yeah but i think the updates are 50% of my missing core issues, the vault is a dead end?

Roon needs an x86 processor, preferably an Intel I series. Vault can not run Roon core.

I would bite the bullet and go with ROCK on a NUC. It may seem more trouble right now because of new things to learn during the setup, but once setup, it should end up as pretty much zero trouble afterwards.

As other have said, if you run into problems, there are enough helpful people here who have done it and yes there are quite a few things to do, but none of them are complex if the instructions are followed.

The thing is - most of us probably havn’t done it more than once unless they upgraded to a better NUC as once setup as it just never needs to be fiddled with again.

2 Likes

It’s probably also worth saying if you want a completely no muss, no fuss system optimized for Roon you should consider a Nucleus as an option. It’s more expensive than putting together a Nuc but it’s ready to go when you get it, it updates itself and you manage it (when you need to) with a super simple web UI. You can also put an SSD in it to hold all your music if you want.

Depending on the size of your library, how many endpoints you have and whether you want to use DSP, you might be better off with an i5 NUC, about $200 more.

BTW - If you can follow directions, putting on ROCK is fairly straightforward. On the other hand, I’ve never has any update problems running Core on WIN 10.

1 Like

It’s takes 10 mins half of that is copying it to a USB stick. Then you leave it to look after itself.

I think I’m understanding a nuc as an industrial pc or an old B&L logic board running its own program.

Think of a NUC as identical internally to an Intel based MAC because it is. Different software, less flashy case but the same inside.

NUC = Next Unit of Computing; an Intel marketing term. Basically, it’s a compact PC, suitable for many roles from desktop PC to music appliance (what the Roon Nucleus is).