New DAC needed for Roon Nucleus

Hi Community

Looks like the USB # 2 isn’t supported with the Roon Nucleus for USB 2.0 for 24/192 resolution on my Cambridge Audio 851C, I can only use Audio USB 1.0 (max 24/96). So I’m looking for a new DAC (do not need headphone amp but understand most come with it), I would like the DAC or network player to be on the Roon Ready list and Roon in house list, and perform at least up to 384kHz DSD256, price $3K-$4K, with XLR balance out connectors, I have narrowed it down to two DACs so far, the Moon SimAudio 280D or the Auralic Vega G1, but also open for suggestions. I also wanted to see if anyone has these units and can share their experience with the device. We use Qobuz, Roon Nucleus, with USB for connectivity. Stream majority of the time.

Thanks
Thomas Reid

I use a Teac NT-505. It exceeds the specification you suggests via USB (it should do 512 native via USB if the server is up to it) and does 192/24 and DSD 128 via its network input. It is well adapted to Roon as a streaming end point.

There is a clash in CA implementation of USB 2 with Linux

There was a big thread about it some while back.

You may wish to think about a RPi end point . I have RPi plus the Allo Digione card which gives a CoAx output which will give 24 192 to your 851 That will use your 851 as a DAC , you will not see the artwork etc

All around $130 and a bit of (uncomplicated) DIY a bit cheaper than a new DAC and utilizes your existing kit

It’s also Roons recommendation to split core and end point

I’ll try and find that thread for you

Gets a bit convoluted but explains eventually

Would be worth checking out the Lumin T2 and Matrix Audio Element X, though I’m not completely clear on the Roon Ready status of the latter, nor of its degree of DSD support over Ethernet.

2 Likes

Matrix X-Sabre PRO MQA works 100%

1 Like

Thanks Maxxim, I do not see any Matrix Audio on the Roon in house list, but glad to hear it works 100% with the Nucleus. The measurements look outstanding on this device. I think this is my front runner right now for the new DAC. Kind regards Thomas

Thanks Dhusky.
Best regards
Thomas

1 Like

Thank Henry, good information, we don’t hear enough about Teac, good company.
Kind regards
Tom

1 Like

if you have questions, write …

Maxxim_M

Did you have to load the v2.7 firmware to resolve any issues with Roon Nucleus?
Thanks
Thomas Reid

Hey.
actually 2.5 solves this problem. (official version) 2.7 loaded. Matrix support reacts very quickly to problems and solves them quickly.

How about a Chord Qutest/TT2? Great DAC’s.

Hi Martin

Fan of both of those DACS, although the Qutest doesn’t have balance XLR out I believe, the TT2 is out of my budget, unless I cannot find a comparable product in the $3-4K range. And I’m not really looking for an amp or headphone amp, (I believe these can be turned off). The Hugo TT2 will be my go to if I cannot find a Roon listed DAC, it’s a beast of a DAC, no question. Thanks for the suggestions!

Kind regards
Thomas

1 Like

Martin
I think I read you have hugo tt2 with nucleus. Any issues? After all the research I think is the best choice for my new DAC. I will be using USB and Qobuz build 1.7

Kind regards
Thomas

1 Like

Hi Thomas,
Yes, I use a Nucleus via USB to a TT2 (via M Scaler).
And it works perfectly. No problems whatsoever.
I think that you’ll be very happy!

T+A DAC 8 DSD

Thanks Martin!

1 Like

Thorsten

Impressive DAC!! on the Roon list also, which is good. Are you using USB with your setup?

Thanks for the info
Thomas Reid

Yes. Silentmaxx PC running RoonBridge, via USB in the T+A DAC. An wonderful DAC!