New DAC needed for Roon Nucleus

And DSD in Perfection…

(From T+A Page):
For the purpose of handling DSD data which can be supplied via the PC-USB input we have developed a unique, dedicated converter: the T+A True One Bit DSD Converter. This is of fully analogue construction and constitutes a genuine one-bit converter, since – unlike other manufacturers – we did not want to use the DSD mode of a PCM converter. This development ensures that DSD data are processed in a genuine one-bit stream process, uncoloured and without detrimental additional conversion

It works!

I have two Moon 280Ds - Highly recommended! As you might guess, the 2nd one was purchased after I fell in love with the first one. Running them with the MiND2 streaming option over ethernet.

Fan of Matrix, from what I have read so far. The Matrix Streamer-DAC Element X seems to be a great unit, with some of the absolutely highest specs out there, eclipsing most much more costly “higher-end” units, but I don’t know why it hasn’t been certified as RoonReady as of yet. It seems to work OK with Roon as far as reports go. Matrix’s much cheaper just-released Element I does seem to have RoonReady certification. Don’t know if Matrix just won’t spend the $ to get the X certified, or if there’s some minor firmware or hardware glitch that keeps it from receiving the fully compliant status. If they want to move their units, full RoonReady certification certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Gentlemen, I’m using the Matrix and I’m more than happy. Opportunities above average. good price. no other D / A converter offers this option at this price. Matrix support solves problems in a few moments. ps. for me the USB volume control works fine.

I received one of these today, installed it, and have spent a few hours with it. Very good initial impression. Terrific SQ, build quality, and functionality. Right now I’m getting DSD 256 over ethernet (DoP). With HQ Player I’ve driven it to DSD 512 (though not with every filter I like). “Roon Ready” claim seems to be a reality. The Mac iOS app, recently released, looks good. I can group it with a Bluesound device in another room and it seems to stay in sync.

I considered the PS Audio DirectStream (senior), but even without the ethernet bridge card, it would have been 2x as expensive. In the AudioScience site reviews (Amir’s testing), FWIW, this Matrix device tested much better.

I generally prefer audio components made in USA or Canada (mainly for service/support). If my first impressions prove valid, I’d have to say Chinese HiFi products are making great strides. Not all of them, of course. I tried a Chinese-made (British designed) iFi Pro iDSD (which has similar functions). Good DAC and display, but in other functions (pre-amp, memory stick player, Roon-ready streamer, remote control, iOS app) this Matrix product appears to be far superior.