New File Tagging not working as expected

The new WORK and PART tags described here:

Tagging Multi-Part Works
We’ve also added the ability to control the presentation of multi-part works (typically, though not exclusively, for classical music). Two new tags – the inspirationally named ‘WORK’ and ‘PART’ – can be used to control the layout of the tracks.

The following tag values coerce tracks 1 and 2 into a two-part work. You can see the results below.

TRACKNUM : 1
WORK     : Quartet in C Major, KV Anh. 171 (285b)
PART     : I. Allegro

TRACKNUM : 2
WORK     : Quartet in C Major, KV Anh. 171 (285b)
PART     : II. Andantino

aren’t working on my system. When I try to force, for example, part of side 2 of Abbey Road into an 8-part work, I end up with the standard track listing:

The next screenshot shows one of the files tagged as recommended in the new File Tagging documentation. All 8 of the tracks I wanted to group are tagged similarly:

What’s worse is that 1.3 effectively disables the workaround I used in 1.2. The method is described here:

In 1.2, I got Works and Parts to look like they should using that method, but now in 1.3 I get this:

How do I get manually-created Works and Parts to display properly in Roon 1.3, please?

Thanks!

EDIT: I tried re-scanning the album, and I tried forcing Roon to use my file data for track titles. Neither worked.

Hi @Jeff_Bellune

We should have stated that WORK and PART currently only affect tracks for which there is no information associated with them from the Roon database. In other words, these tags only affect unidentified albums or albums which have been manually identified against a “trackless edition”.

I have modified the KB article with this information. Please accept my apologies for giving you the wrong impression.

The area of performances of compositions is still an active area of research within the Roon team in terms of how we handle it in our data model and how we present the information in the product. Until we’ve resolved this, this particular aspect of editing has not been opened up, primarily to protect user data – we never want to put ourselves in a position where we may have to revert a user’s edit – but also because we don’t want to box ourselves into a corner that we can’t subsequently get out of.

Hi @joel

Thank you for the new information. Do you think what I’m trying to do with these properly identified albums will be possible in the future in Roon? If it’s not something you guys think will be workable going forward, I’ll revert to the brute force way of customizing such albums – stitch the individual tracks together in Adobe Audition.