New files on QNAP not being automatically seen by Roon

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon Version 1.7 build 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Connected through Talk Talk on Ethernet Model No Huawei HG633

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Windows 10 64bit PC = For File Converting to FLAC - Qnap Nas TVS-682 = Roon Core - Windows 10 Laptop 64bit = Roon App - Bluesound Node 2i = Streamer - Rotel Amp = End Point

Description Of Issue

Hi,
My method for converting files is FLAC and then sending them down via Ethernet to the Qnap TVS-682. Where the files are stored and can be accessed by Roon and played.
My Roon app is set to Date added and is always on shuffle. For a long time I’ve been able to send files to the Qnap and then that album/title would immediately be displayed on the app. This is no longer happening. I have to wait after the Qnap to shut down and re-start again and then it will display the files recently entered.
Wondered if you could shed any light on this. It may be a number of network issues.
Everything is working well apart from that. Is only a small issue but if it could be resolved it would be helpful. Most people leave their Qnap nas drives on all the time. I decided not too as when I’m not here I’m thinking of risk of fire. So mine automatically shuts down at a set time in the evening every day.

Love to hear your thoughts
Cheers
Chris Berry

I am not sure if it is because of the new Roon strategy. If music file shows immediately, the software should check the music file data frequently ( waste resources?). I met the same issue as you. I use synology nas to store the music files.

But I don’t think that this is problem. You can always use “force re-scan…”. Then you will get all updated albums.

Thank you Jet,
I’ll have a go next time I do an update.
Wasn’t sure if it was to do with the network security on the folder options.
Cheers
Chris

Not only for Roon, but also for Plex. I found that the library will not be updated immediately. But I think that this is good for me. When I put my files in Nas, I will usually make some modifications, such as changing name/adding tag… Hence, it will be wasteful if the library updated immediately during my modification.

Hi @Chris_Berry1,

Thanks for reaching out! There is a known limitation of NAS’ reporting changes to their file system via SMB, usually a Force Rescan or setting a shorter re-scan interval helps (Roon Settings -> Storage -> Edit):

Let me know if this helps!

Thank you Noris,
I’ve found out now where to to force rescan and I’ll try that next time I re-new some files.
My edit storage doesn’t look exactly like yours but there is a link which I’ll try.
Cheers for that.
Chris Berry

1 Like

Hi @Chris_Berry1,

Can you share a screenshot of Settings > Storage? Is this a local folder or one added over the network?

Roughly how many tracks are in your library?

Hi Dylan, here’s a snapshot of my path.
Interesting that it says ‘‘Watching for new files in real time’’. Doesn’t update unless I hit the Force Rescan.
Cheers
Chris

1 Like

Hi @Chris_Berry1,

Thank you for sharing that screenshot. We have had a few similar reports to your and are looking into related variables between your setup and these setups. While this investigation is ongoing, please use the Force Rescan feature after adding new content, thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.