New Firmware SOtM Eunhasu 0.4.5

(Vitor Teixeira) #154

Updated yesterday, manually, from upgrade to upgrade, to 0.4.4 (some issues with this one).
Is it more reliable to upgrade with the SD card or the way I’ve been doing via eunhasu?
If SD card is the way to go, are there any problem in using a micro SD 16 GB with an SD adapter?
Thanks in advance.

(Vitor Teixeira) #155

No one?
Appreciated.

(Philipp Schaefer) #156

Hi. I did all updates via the web interface - and never had any issue. Lots of ppl do it via an SD card - and have lots of trouble with it (just read the thread). But if an update via web fails, you’ll need an SD card to restore. So better have one ready :wink:

(MGXmusicUK) #157

micro SD of 16 GB is perfect

(Vitor Teixeira) #158

Just downloaded the image and the dd utility, pretty strait forward so far.
But…when trying to extract the image ( Eunhasu V0.4.60) with Zipeg on a macbook pro i get an error, so i’m stucked in 0.4.4 - which by the way sucks, by far the worst firmware I’ve encountered. I’ll attach a print screen.
Any help to fix this issue will be much appreciated.
Thanks.

(MGXmusicUK) #159

Maybe download the image again or try it on PC if you have one …

(Chris Stewart) #160

Personally I’m getting tired of the poor quality of these firmware updates. They seem to be poorly tested and I’ve encountered corrupt images several times. The most recent v0.4.60 gave me errors when imaging - I tried several times on multiple SD cards with an “unable to write to a particular sector error”. Writing v0.4.22 (which is the only other version available for download on their website here: http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:burn_sdcard_image#micro_sd_card_image_files) worked fine each time. But as no other more recent versions are made available to downloaded, I’d then have to go through the slow and painful process of updating via the WebUI if I wanted a newer version. I simply don’t bother anymore.

I now notice the datestamp for v0.4.60 has changed - does this suggest an updated v0.4.60? Perhaps its been recompiled or repackaged and will correct the issue I experienced - it’s anyone’s guess though as no information is provided.

TLDR version

• Tired of being a beta tester for these rushed firmwares.
  • SoTM please provide a repository of all known good firmwares so people can download them and image to their SD cards as required.
  • If for example v0.4.60 doesn’t work and you change and repost an updated image, change the version number (or at the least include information describing the change made).
2 Likes
(Gary Evans) #161

I totally agree with you—feels 20 years behind the times. Another complaint I have is that there is never a SOtM rep responding to anything on this site! Mine is just about unusable as it loses its connection after 30 minutes or so.

(Chris Stewart) #162

Hi @Gary_Evans,

I had the exact same issue - device losing network connectivity randomly - completely innaccessible via the WebGUI or as a Roon endpoint. Couldn’t even ping the IP of the device. Sometimes it’d dropout in 10 mins, 30 mins or longer. Other times it’d work for a whole day. I’d have to pull the power to restart the device each time.

In the end my unit got sent back to SOtM who could not replicate the issue. It arrived back to me with v0.4.60 on it which would not output any audio to my Marantz HD-DAC1. Said it was connecting and streaming, but my DAC showed no signal sync. It now has v0.4.22 on it and interestingly it’s not lost connectivity once - uptime is now about 7 days straight.

(Gary Evans) #163

Seven days straight? Amazing!! I think I’ll follow your lead and downgrade to 0.4.22. Thanks, Chris.

1 Like
(Chris Stewart) #164

Other firmware versions may also be fine, but alas no easy way to get hold of them.

(Fredrik) #165

What software are you using to download on your computer? I have found Firefox to not be relaiable to download the image after I started using Chrome to download no problems with the image process.
I use the latest 4.6 version downloaded from SOtM without problem on a 16Gb class 10 SD card.
I have also encountered that my SOtM is lost on the network and not reachable only way to fix it is to re-burn the image.

I have all versions from 4.22 to 4.6 downloaded so if anyone want a specific version send me a PM and I can email it.

2 Likes
(Chris Stewart) #166

I am using Firefox - will try a different browser. Will report back.

(MGXmusicUK) #167

I must admit I never encountered a problem. I’m very careful to follow my own rules.
1st Download using chrome extract and save.
2nd Format a very good quality 16Gb class 10 SD card to (EXfat)
3rd Use the latest 3.1 Utilities to burn the image.
4th Unplug all connections to sms200 and insert the sd card.
5th Plug the power cord only and wait for 5 min.
6th Connect all other cords Dac / Rj45 and wait another 5 min.
7th Log in to sms200 from browser and adjust all the settings needed.
8th Reboot if you have a problem reboot again ……
I run one cable from i7 windows PC with only Roon installed on it to a router (Cisco 2960). From there I connect the SMS 200 using cat6 all in all about 30 meters of cable.
I hope this helps. I never have the slightest of problems.
Mario

(Fredrik) #168

I have used FAT32 as that is what SOtM have in their guide but the write process was faster when the SD card was formated with exFAT so that was a good thing.

Do you @Mario_Grech_Xerri use DHCP or static IP?

(MGXmusicUK) #169

ExFat formatted drives (SD Cards) are much faster they have improved free space allocator and has a larger file size limit. The sms 200 is more responsive using this type of format structure system. I shall also upload a photo of my configuration so you can see …….I hope this helps Enjoy the Music…

(Fredrik) #170

I did talk to SOtM about some of my problems before and they suggested either it was the SD card, something with my network so now I have followed your example and runs exFAT and set a static route in my router to see if this helps.

(Chris Stewart) #171

@Mario_Grech_Xerri It won’t matter whether the SD Card is formatted to EXfat, Fat32 etc prior to writing because the imaging process overwrites the filesystem entirely with the filesystem contained within the bootable image i.e. it is not simply copying the files to the formatted SD card - but rewriting each sector of the card with the data contained in the image file.

For example, if the SOtM image uses a linux filesystem (such as EXT4) that’s what the SD card will be once the image is complete - which is why you will be unable to read the contents of the SD card on an Windows machine after imaging - even if you’d previously formatted it as ExFat.

(Fredrik) #172

I know this but still SOtM in their guide how to prepare the card wants it to be formated with FAT32 and after the burn process it is EXT3 if you look at the card.

1 Like
(Chris Stewart) #173

Sorry, I accidentally referenced the wrong post. I meant to refer to a previous one by @Mario_Grech_Xerri that intimated that the SMS-200 performs better with an ExFat filesystem - which is not correct as it will be overwritten with an EXT3 filesystem (thanks for clarifying @Fredrik_Andersson) during the imaging process.

1 Like