New image artwork provider for Roon? Quality is not as great as it use to be

Is Roon using a new provider for the album artwork? If so, please go back which chose mainly 1280x1280 pixel of very high quality scans. I recently had to rebuild by library and many previous images have been replaced by a new image which are faded in colour and the sizes are not square.

Have you activated ā€œprefer bestā€ (not ā€œprefer Roonā€ or ā€œprefer fileā€!) in your artwork import settings? Of course, this will only have an effect on your downloaded/locally stored musicā€¦

Prefer Best is selected. Here are a few examples. Previous imports these were high quality 1280x1280 images and now they are not and the images look faded.

I havenā€˜t noticed anything like that in my library. I only have music downloads. Most of my album covers are high quality 1400 x 1400 images. Thatā€˜s why Roon never changes them. I only use Tidal to discover new artists or albums, but I never add Tidal music to my libraryā€¦

I would like a response please from someone from Roon @brian. As Iā€™m finding quality of images are getting worse as time goes on from when I first started this topic, and definitely lesser quality than when Roon first launch and I find it a real shame.

The majority of imported images use to be 1280x1280 (Iā€™m assuming from Tidal as that is their default pixel size) and now more and more images are faded and not square pixel dimensions.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @anon94274355. Weā€™re looking into what might have happened here. There were some changes quite a while ago related to getting more specific cover art for releasesā€“this might have changed which images are being selected in some cases. That is happened over a year agoā€¦and this is the first weā€™re hearing of it. So we are going to have to look and see how widespread this is and exactly what was traded off.

(cc, @joel)

Thanks Brian. The way that it came to my attention was that I had a hard drive failure and lost everything (and my backup drive wasnā€™t 100% captured) so I had to rebuilt my Roon library from scratch with new CD rips and since Iā€™ve been a lifetime member almost since Roon launched Iā€™ve noticed 80%-90% of the images are different from what they once were and now very rarely does Roon pick a high quality 1280x1280 image (like 1 - 50 ratio) but rather a washed out 1080x10?? image.

Hi @anon94274355,

Just wanted to check in on thisā€“we did some investigation and found out what changed. It did happen back in March 2017 when were working on the artwork picking rules. The problem is that the algorithm isnā€™t choosing Fanart.tv artwork as much as it did in the pastā€“those tend to be the best of the best, hand picked + then voted on.

We havenā€™t worked out 100% of the details about how this will be fixed, but itā€™s clear that this was a mistake and needs to be addressed. I think weā€™re going to try to go a little bit further than just simply putting it the way it was and try to do a more thorough job of picking the best image from the options we have available, taking into account accuracy, sharpness, contrast, resolution, (ā€¦) in a more holistic way that more closely replicates to how a human would judge it the images.

And then, of course, we need to deploy the new artwork in such a way that peoplesā€™ libraries are automatically upgraded to the higher quality level without having to reimport.

Not sure exactly when this will happen yetā€“but now that we know whatā€™s up, itā€™s a lot easier to start mapping out the process of getting the work done.

I think a lot of us here imported most of our libraries before March 2017, so we havenā€™t really experienced the current state of things personally. Quality issues like this can be really tricky to spot. This could have gone on for much longer if you hadnā€™t said something. Thanks again for flagging it!

6 Likes

Brilliant! That means for someone like me whose library started in June 2017 the best is yet to come!