New ipad pro 10.5 inch support

@support AFAIK, portrait mode is supported only on the 12.9inch ipad pro not the 9.7inch.

but I know that it is too early to ask such a question Now that a new screen size is available as announced today (10.5 inch) will the portrait mode be available for this size?

I was planning to buy an ipad pro mainly because I wanted to use roon in portrait mode, but if roon will support the 10.5inch in portrait mode than that would change my choice?

3 Likes

it wont support portrait…

2224-by-1668 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

vs

2732-by-2048 resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)

the 10.5" is going to be 2x retina, just like the 12.9" (which you can tell by the ppi).

so unless you do non-power-of-2-scaling, that gives you a ppi adjusted resolution of 1112-by-834, which is not enough to do portrait with the current UI design.

the 12.9" ends up with 1366-by-1024, which is enough.

all that said, we are in the middle of a new Roon UI design (no ETA so don’t ask), which unifies phone and tablet/desktop designs, and will allow for portrait on all devices.

12 Likes

:+1::+1::+1:

I can say the the current version runs in iOS11 Beta 11.0 connected to Roon server on OS X 10.11.6 B223

2 Likes

One thing that doesn’t work with IOS 11 in landscape mode is the bottom up gesture to bring up the dock. It just fails to work at all. Need to double tap the home button or at least slide left/right to get away from Roon.

Hi Danny, any idea when portrait mode will be live for 10.5 iPads?

@digitalzed – never with this UI design, and i wouldn’t hold my breath for the new design. it could take many months or even longer.

Too bad. Not essential obviously but it is convenient. Maybe one day.