New(ish) Music! What are you discovering?

ref that Till Bronner album, Anders, I do like it alot. Have been revisiting it regularly in the last couple of months, myself. I love the timbre of the trumpet and the mellow vibe, generally of this album. Till Bronner deserves to be better known. I like also Paolo Fresu, in the same vein, maybe a bit more “Jazz” than Bronner. They meet with this sort of sound.

I had the pleasure of seeing Paolo Fresu playing with Thierry Lang a few years back in a local small church. It put me onto him in fact. Sublime gig. Almost spiritual you could say :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here’s a great fairly recent album. Very old style though. Like something out of the 20’s or 30’s , Oh Brother Where Art Thou style. I love it! I’d go to see this guy at the drop of the hat.

https://i.imgur.com/dLjRvX5.png

2 Likes

They keep on coming… So much good new stuff… Here’s another old style. Americana, Cajun feel about it. Lovely stuff…

1 Like

I’m not sure I can recommend this, but if you ever wondered what Glenn Frey (R.I.P) did after the Eagles break-up, here it is. Quite a departure:

1 Like

Not quite my cup of tea yet, john. Im not (quite) ready for the pipe and slippers. Getting there, got the slippers!

You might like this thread…

1 Like

Hi @Sallah_48, thanks for the tip. I own and like those albums, also like No Better Than This (2010). I’ve been busy catching up after years of fighting my JM prejudices! :wink:

1 Like

Ah, yes, I wasn’t referring to popular music.

With new music, I would include Chris Taborn, Marilyn Crispell, Vijay Iyer, Wadada Leo Smith, Stefani Battaglia, Dino Saluzzi, Adam Bałdych, Michele Rabbia, Anouar Brahem, Anders Jormin…

They are often categorized as “jazz”, but it is really just modern, unconventional music. Call it Avantgarde chamber music. Got nothing to do with the traditional views of what jazz is.

And then you have things recommended here that are of similar nature but I haven’t quite gotten to like yet: Alva Noto, Ryuichi Sakamoto, The Necks…

1 Like

I have to agree, Sallah. I saw “Glenn Frey” and thought, “hey, the Eagles dude”, not a lounge singer.

Well, at least the price was right. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leyla’s a keeper! Thanks for the tip. Kinda reminds me of Madeline Peyroux (sp?) sans cello.

1 Like

@sallah_48 I hear the Chris Isaak in Holy Motors. Good call. I’m glad you’re liking The New Year. I swear, I listened to Snow more than any other album I purchased last year. It was my 2017 favorite. They have 4 other releases dating back to 2001, and in my opinion, they are all equally as good. You can find lossless downloads of those albums over at us7digital.com. They’re a break off of a 90s band called Bedhead and of course, it reminds you of Granddaddy. They too are part of the same era of an alternative to the Alternative genera of 90’s grunge. Bedhead was part of the Slowcore scene along with bands like Red House Painters (aka Mark Kozelek), Cat Power, Low, etc. I’d post them here but they don’t really qualify as New(ish) music. But they’re timeless so do look into them if you’re enjoying Snow.

@Mikael_Ollars Smog/Bill Callahan is great!!! You can get/stream all of Smog/Bill Callahan’s stuff on Bandcamp.

Thanks for all the alt-country and Americana leads. I’m not always a big fan of that style but every now and then some stick and I recently came across this artist that does it for me.

1 Like

@Speed_Racer I’m on board with Sallah in regards to this thread but your post does deserve attention or what I feel is a chance to help you. I’m not sure if we’ll ever hear new albums that are on par with the old classics you mention. Keep in mind, there were huge budgets for making such albums back then. Just not the same anymore unless you’ve made it big as a touring band. Are you familiar with Alt-j or Radiohead? They’re the really talented experimental bands of today.

Here’s a gem for you. Not super new but you might like it cause it’s simply brilliantly played 70’s classic rock sound with some songs extending to 11 plus minutes.

1 Like

Popular music is one of the genre I listen to along with Classical, Jazz, Rock, and Classic Rock. Popular music is/was the genre I listened to the most. But not any more. That’s why I can’t agree that “now” is the best time in music for me.

I am sorry, @Sallah_48, I though this was a topic for discussion. I didn’t realize you didn’t want differing points of view…

Yes, Radiohead is very good. I will have two listen to alt-J to see what I think. The sad thing is that there was a time when there were 10 to 15 bands out there like Radiohead. Now we have so few. I have Tidal and on the lookout for good new music in the rock/pop rock genre. There just isn’t much there.

No worries, Winders, i was just trying to calm any flame war about new vs old. imho it’s all music whenever it’s been made :slight_smile:

It took me a couple of times coming back to Alt-j’s first album before I got it. But once I did, I couldn’t get enough. All three of their releases are brilliant! Be sure to give a couple of goes, like I did, if they don’t stick at first. They’re doing what Pink Floyd did back in the day but using modern tools and styles, such a looping and sound bites.

2 Likes

Here’s one for fans of Sade. Silky vocals and classic R&B with a touch of modern making it a creatively unique record. She takes old 80’s R&B hits and makes them her own. I picked up the 24bit version.

RoonShareImage-636574002565833860

If it turns out you’re digging Meshell, check out this record from English band Woman’s Hour. It has a similar aesthetic as well as being beautifully done!!

RoonShareImage-636574013297323250

1 Like

Haha! I hear ya! I’ve spent $1000’s at Bandcamp over the years. I love that site.

1 Like