New Labtop problems

Are any of these apps running and claiming exclusive rights over the device ? e.g. Roon cannot get the device as JRiver has it ?

No, impossible. All other applications are closed. And I installed Jriver and Foobar only to check the USB Dacs.
I dont use them either on that Pc.
I think its a Win 10 thing…
I think to get Roon running (which is simply not required), by running I mean to recognize the Dacs via the USB inputs, I think I would have to reinstall Win 10 from the scratch. I have the feeling that there is a weird problem with the Asio Drivers here between Win 10 and Roon. But thats a suspicion.

I just want to step back a bit to understand:[quote=“miklats, post:1, topic:23338”]
BUT no DAC connected via USB is recognised.
[/quote]

Are you saying:

A. I open the Roon up on the new laptop, go to Setup / Audio. And none of the USB devices (or any other audio device like the built in audio of the laptop) show up.

Or.

B. I go to Setup / Audio, and click to enable the USB audio and get an error message?
and if it is #2, do you get the same initializing error with the built in audio as with USB devices?

Hello, and thanks for your help
I Install Roon.
All Roon Playbackpoints (RAAT or NAA) are there.
If I connect a DAC it is simply not shown…
I close Roon. Open Program xyz and the DAC is there ,ready to be choosen and to play if choosen…

I close that program. Open Roon. No Dac to be choosen there.

So, you are saying the the local system output of the built in laptop audio does not show up either. Forget about USB for the moment.

Roon works differently than all the other softwares you are describing. Jriver and the bunch look at your installed windows drivers they see the local audio hardware, built in audio and USB, because they are on the same machine.

When you start Roon running on the laptop, it is just a control point, it does nothing with the local system, it only allows you to control the Server. The local Roon client does not read your windows and send that information to the server.

How does a server know what the local hardware is? The RoonServer sends queries out using the multicast protocol and expects the client to respond. When things are running correctly, the client responds to the queries, and the server then creates the audio devices at the server level and presents them as available audio outputs zones. Why? Because this then allows another endpoint to direct an audio stream to that zone.

If the client does not respond to the queries the server does not know the audio hardware is connected to that client. The multicast protocol can be blocked by serveral different things, the first and most usual culprit is a firewall. The firewall can be built in to windows, can be from an anti-virus program, can even be a firewall run on a switch or router.
Besides, firewalls, certain switches (smart managed switches) or even routers can have an option which blocks multicast signals which would need to be turned off.

So, if you have a smart managed switch, I would review the documentation about Multicast protocol and change the settings to allow. Alternatively, if you have a normal, non-smart switch, you can try that in its place and see if that is the issue.

Next, I would again verify that the windows machine is not running a firewall (it is on by default). To test things, I would just turn off all firewalls and anti-virus and see if it makes a difference. ( I know you checked before, but Windows has a habit of turning things on again and not letting you know about it).

Hello
This labtop does not recognize a USB DAC when Roon is opened. No firewalls, no antivirus.
End of storie.
I can use any other RAAT NAA in my house.

I simply want to leave it there. When I have some time, I will investigate what is the trouble with Roon.
ALL other software is ok, being locally or via network. All, but Roon, is fine.

Ok
Finally I found the troublemaker.
Its was a Nvidia Graphic Driver, the latest update.
Roon could not recognize USB Dacs with that Driver installed.
Other programs had no problem.

Sorry, my joy was premature.
I does not work.
Roon will not recognize the Meridian Explorer Dac, whole other programs do…

Hey @miklats – can you zip up the RAATServer logs folder and get it over to us? Instructions are here.

If you can send us a Dropbox link, we can take a look. If you don’t have anywhere to upload them, just let us know.

Thanks!

Hello @mike

sent you a dropbox link.

Hi @miklats ----- I touched base with @mike today and we can’t seem to locate the logs. Can you please provide us the drop box link via a PM on community?

Thanks!
-Eric

@Eric
should be ok now. let me know plse.

HI @miklats ---- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that the logs have been received and are in our queue for evaluation. We appreciate your patience while we conduct our analysis of your logs.

-Eric

Good to hear.
Thanks for looking into that.