New Laptop, Chromecast Audio stuttering at 88.2khz (as well as 96khz)

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Lenova Thinkpad E590 (i7, 16Gb Ram, 512 SSD, 2TB HDD)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WiFi → F@ST 3890

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Chromecast Audio → Eximus DP1 (24/192khz upsampling DAC)

There is a long-standing issue with Chromcast Audio stuttering at 96khz. The solution is to downsample to 48khz. However, I have a new laptop and I have no memory of Chromcast Audio stuttering at 88.2khz. With the exception of the new laptop I have been using the above Chromcast setup since roon introduced Chromcast support.

Now I get stuttering in the following scenarios:

1. 44.1khz roon upsampled to 88.2khz
  2. DSD roon downsampled to 88.2khz
  3. Native 88.2khz, roon DSP passthrough

In senarios 1) and 2) the stuttering is relatively frequent. Essentially unusable. In scenario 3) the stuttering is much less frequent. Entire songs may pass by before a stutter for example.

As I say. I do not recall having these issues with my previous laptop (a much older less capable Lenova Ideapad). Is there a buffer setting in roon or other setting that I may have had on the previous laptop without realising it that I should try? Are others haveing the same problems with 88.2 khz and 96khz?

Of course the workaround is that I downsample all 44.1khz multiples to 44.1khz as well. But I would rather a different solution if possible as when 88.2khz is working it sounds very fine.

Hello @Tony_Casey,

If your Chromecast Audio is “stuttering” with 24/96kHz playback, it not unexpected that it would exhibit the same behavior with 24/88.2kHz playback as well. The overall data rates are very similar between the two sample rates.

Looking at the official Google Chromecast issue tracker, there are multiple reports of 24/88.2kHz playback exhibiting this behavior:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/356030?hl=en

-John

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.