New Mac mini to use as core

3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor

128GB Storage

• 3.6GHz quad-core 8th-generation Intel Core i3 processor
  • 8GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
  • Intel UHD Graphics 630
  • 128GB PCIe-based SSD storage¹

Would this work as core and would be able to be controlled by an iPad Pro?

Excuse me for asking, but wouldn’t it be better to buy a NUC and save a little money too?

You could be right what are NUCs and could you give me examples of manufactures and models?

# Next Unit of Computing

This is my NUC, it is the latest model but be careful: I have installed ubuntu and roon server;
If you want you can upload a dedicated os of Roon but you need a different NUC model, if you look in the official guides you will find all the answers you are looking for :slight_smile:

# ROCK: Getting Started

you should be fine with that if Macs are thing easier for you maybe

2 Likes

Yes Macs are easier for me thanks.

1 Like

You could consider buying second hand. Some of the older Mac Minis will work perfectly and have the added benefit of not having the RAM and hard drives hard soldered to the motherboard.

1 Like

@Steven_Weidman if you go for a second hand wouldn’t you be better off making sure it has ‘el capitan’ or something ‘less’ newer than ‘catalina’? from what i have read newer OS do something to sound quality or am i misunderstanding what i am reading ? regardless not changing my OS for now am very happy

https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_Optimized_Core_Kit

Mac Mini refresh expected soon.

I run Roon on a 2012 Mac Mini Server without issue, using my iPad Air2 as Roon Remote.

I run this config on 2018 mac mini. it operates wonderfully. iPad as a remote works without issue as well.