New Mac Studio won't play Roon

Roon Core Machine

New Mac Studio with the M1 Max chip.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Hi,
I have a new Mac Studio with the M1 Max chip. It replaced an Intel Mac Mini that was my Roon core. I thought I was doing my research by looking up posts here re: Roon functionality with the M1 chip, which users have raved about.

But today, after playing about 4 songs, everything stopped. Multiple Roon restarts - nothing. Multiple Mac restarts - nothing.

Am I really just out of luck having just dropped $2K+ on a new machine?

There is a new Roon Build. Are you running that?

It seems that there are some problems with Roon and M1 chips. Tagging @support for more help.

Good luck.

The latest build (931) is running very smoothly on my Mac mini M1 so no, I don’t think you’re out of luck, but it does sound as though there’s something that needs sorting out. I’d suggest posting in the support thread so support can follow up. Try to add as much info to each of the support headings as it will make it easier to diagnose the problem and/or suggest solutions.

By the way, good screen name. Monty Python sketch or the metal band?

1 Like

Hello @ethelthefrog,

We’re sorry to hear that you’re having some issues with Roon on your New M1 Mac. As @DaveN mentioned quite a few of our customers are using Roon on Apple silicon with great results. I’m sure we can get you going.

I’ve moved your report to the Support channel and added the setup template to your post above. Can you please fill that out with as much detail as possible and tell us what you’re having trouble with? Thanks!

How did you install roon? Is it a new install then restore from roon’s backup or did you do a user migration or worse a time machine restore?

It was a new install restoring from a Roon backup. Hoping the support team can help but any suggestion is welcome! Thanks.

Thanks! I don’t know the band, but love the Pythons!

1 Like

I just upgraded to latest build - so we’ll see if it makes a difference.

1 Like

Just did the upgrade - fingers crossed. Thank you for the link with Support!

1 Like

Hi - thanks @Jamie for sending me the service request template. Latest build is running now so I may be fine. We’ll see. I can get back to you if things change. For now, here’s my response to the form:

Roon Core Machine

New Mac Studio M1 Max, 32Gb RAM, Monterey 12.3.1

Networking Gear & Setup Details

ISP Router to Eero Pro 6 to Netgear Switch to Mac Studio - all via Cat 5 or 6.

Connected Audio Devices

Naim Uniti Atom (via CAT6) , iPad nano 4, iPhone 12 (WiFi via Eero Pro 6).

Number of Tracks in Library

72,173 (mostly playing through Tidal).

Description of Issue

Hi,
I have a new Mac Studio with the M1 Max chip. It replaced an Intel Mac mini that was my Roon core. I thought I was doing my research by looking up posts here re: Roon functionality with the M1 chip, which users have raved about.

But today, after playing about 4 songs, everything stopped. Multiple Roon restarts - nothing. Multiple Mac restarts - nothing. At the suggestion of others in the community, I noted a new Roon build, so just installed it and music is playing fine right now.

I will be in touch if anything changes. Thank you!

1 Like

And fingers crossed the latest build fixes things for you.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.