New Macbook can't locate Roon Core (MacMini)

Roon Core Machine

Mac mini with 16gb ram and M1 chip. Operating system is Ventura 13.2.1.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

All the music sits in a Synology device, which can be accessed from all other devices. All devices are within the same IP range, and there is no firewall enabled on any of the devices.

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Approx 10k

Description of Issue

Hi, I’ve recently purchased a new MacBook to be used as a remote, but it can’t locate the room core which is installed on a Mac mini with M1 chip and 16GB of RAM. Weird thing is that my Roon Arc on my iPhone can access the core without any issues. So, I don’t believe there is an issue with the core per se. Btw, MacBook also sits on Ventura 13.2.1 (same as the core)

1 Like

Hi @Osman_Aydogan,

Thank you for reaching out and for your patience as the support team worked through the queue to reach your inquiry.

When your Remote can’t locate the Core despite sharing a router, the most common culprits are separate subnets or network frequencies. Since you’ve verified the Remote and Core share an IP range, I’m assuming you only have one subnet.

What’s the make and model of your router? If there are multiple bands available, verify that both the Core, NAS, and MacBook are on the same frequency (5GHz, most generally).

Is ARC able to access your Core via both WiFi and cellular data?

Lastly, for due diligence, you can try a database refresh and fresh install of Roon on your Core and Remote. This step won’t erase any of your library content or customization provided you perform a proper backup first.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon on your Core and Remotes
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup

Thank you Connor for your response. Let me answer your questions:

1. Router is Asus 5300.
  2. All devices are on 5ghz indeed.
  3. ARC is able to access my core via both WiFi and 4G without any issues.
  4. I’ve already deleted the Roon on the Remote. But not on Core yet.

Anything else you would recommend me to pursue with, before I reinstall the Roon on my core?
Thanks,
Osman

Hi Connor, I’ve just done a database refresh and my Mac still can’t find the Core I’m afraid… Anything else you can recommend ? Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.