New multichannel DAC from OktoResearch coming up - DAC8 PRO

I have the DHYNHK 4.59.0 ASIO driver version on my WS2019 server for the Okto, slightly older than your version. I’ve never been able to get Roon to enable it. No explanation ever found as to why. So, I use my Okto passing through HQPlayer, which enables both native and upscaled playback using the DIYNHK ASIO driver. JCR

1 Like

Ah I see.
You can get the driver under
https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/driverdatasheetmanual/152-diyinhk-usb-audio-driver-v4-full-version-and-signed-.html

But: Some people are saying, that they are able to use the DAC with ropieee and SOtM devices.
I’ve tried different installations with Ropieee, Rock and a SOtM Neo without any success.

I, too, have been using this version of the driver since I installed the DAC8 last year. Briefly, there were some issues but it worked/works on Win10 with Roon, Jriver and DiracLive.

Hi JR

Do you have a RaspPi4 lying around where you can load NAA OS on SD card.

And confirm if multichannel works with the NAA OS image on RPi4?

2 channel will work but I’m interested if more than 2 channels works with this particular NAA OS.

https://www.signalyst.eu/bins/naa/images/naa-4122-raspberrypi4.7z

Unless @jussi_laako is aware of any other HQP users getting success with Okto DAC8?

Only my comment:
The current firmware (mine is the 1.42) has a problem in using the DAC with a Linux and so It’s not a question about using HQ or not.
Other people told me, that with the firmware 1.41 and 1.43 the Okto DAC can handled with Linux, but at the moment it’s not possible to update the firmware and so we’ve to wait…

Why can’t you update from 1.42 to 1.43?

They removed the firmware?

Yes, rpi4 loaded with NAA works for MCH. It is what I was using before I switched to a microRendu. JCR

1 Like

There isn’t a public firmware update utility available and also the support will not answer your questions.

Hmm sorry to hear this.

Obviously COVID-19 is also a factor. Likely affected things for them, in different ways.

Others issues with mine dac:
48 kHz, 96 kHz and 192 kHz resources are playing, but without sound output and after some bit rate changes the DAC hangs, which means no connection through ASIO.
Only a cold restart will help then…

Waiting since a week for an answer from OktoResearch, but nothing than silence…
For me the DAC is only working with Roon for a Windows endpoint and resampling all the input for example to DSD128.

Do those sample rates work ok with a Linux endpoint? Or you don’t want to use Linux?

Shure, my favourite OS is Linux, but my DAC isn’t working at all with a Linux endpoint.

Doesn’t appear there is a phone number to call either. Disappointing.

Although it’s possible they are affected by covid, causing delays.

Hopefully they reach your email soonish.

What is Roon running on? Is it Linux or Win? When I was using the PinkFaun/Linux for Roon, I had many problems with the Okto DAC8 Pro. I found two solutions:

1. Use HQPlayer-embedded with Linux.
  2. Reboot the PF with Win10.
1 Like

HQP Desktop also works for 8 channels with the ASIO driver. JCR

1 Like

What hardware and distro are you using for Linux?

Have you tried RPi4 + RoPieee?

RoPieee is kept up to date pretty well with kernel and drivers.

And I know Okto8 users that have reported it works well (although I don’t know their firmware).

Anyway it’s free to try. And doesn’t involved HQPlayer (which I use).

That’s good to know.
I’m tossing up between a second hand Okto Dac 8 Pro atm and a Motu Mk5 lite.

I suspect the Motu might actually be better supported, and a cheaper option, although you do lose the Volume control via remote.

I have sent the Okto team a few emails, with no replies.

Where do you see official Linux support for the Motu?

I see 1 person possibly having success but not 100% clear if it’s all 8 channels working correctly…

I think alec_eiffel mentioned the same to you a while back in this same thread?

I don’t. I didn’t mention Linux…
I’m happy to run W10 if needed.
Just looking for the right solution.