New music discovery needs Tidal/Qobuz, please tell me it ain't so?

Does Tidal not work the same as Qobuz? In other words if you have an old Tidal account can you simply leave it active in Roon and then see, but not play, recommendations? I from the point of view of curiosity rather than experience.

1 Like

That’s what I’m thinking or add the free tier.

1 Like

If you haven’t noticed DISCOGRAPHY disappears too

1 Like

Perhaps it is me, but I tend to think Tidal/Qobuz sounds better through Roon than on Desktop Apps.
I also use my local library a lot more than I stream, I have 168.000 FLAC, ALAC & Hi-Res files.
I still pay every month for Tidal Hi-Fi Plus & Qobuz Studio. :heart_eyes:

Hi @Richard_Thornton,

Many of our customers only use streaming and have no local music library. Linking a streaming service in Roon opens up a vast world of music for Roon’s features to work from. Linking a non-streaming account has caused frustration for some customers. For instance, Roon naturally assumes that linked accounts offer streaming so Roon will attempt to seed Roon Radio from Qobuz purchase only accounts and radio will fail when trying to play those Qobuz selections.

You can continue to enjoy Roon using only a local library but the experience will be different, as you’ve seen. The differences will be more noticeable while you’re adjusting to the transition between streaming + local library and just local library.

2 Likes

I started using my Qobuz download only account, I can cope with this.

It would be better if I had this Allow users with no cloud music subscriptions to discover new music through Roon

Can someone tell me if its possible to use last.fm through the Roon API to populate discography and similar artists sections of Roon, I’m guessing thats how Qobuz and Tidal do it but can end-users do that with the API?

Or, as others have pointed out, you can use Roon with a non-streaming Qobuz account and enjoy the benefits of recommendations, discographies etc. which accords with the needs of the OP.

In other words if you have an old Tidal account can you simply leave it active in Roon and then see, but not play, recommendations?

I haven’t personally tried it recently in Roon (so perhaps that partnership has access to more data), but in general Tidal has the free/expired tier almost entirely locked out of integrations and API access.

Worth a shot, but I’d go into it with low expectations.

IIRC Tidal won’t even let you link a non-paid account, so it may be a complete non-starter unless you pay for a month, link Roon with Tidal, and cancel afterward.

2 Likes

After remembering that I had an old Tidal account, I tried it out. You’re quite correct, expired Tidal does not provide anything in the way of integration. It looks like it’s only Qobuz. I suppose that this is because a non-streaming Qobuz account is still an “active” account, due to the download side of the Qobuz business.

2 Likes

there is a feature request to allow tidal daily recommendations to pass through to roon. maybe this would help if you please vote for it

You need to pay for a Tidal subscription to use Tidal.

And who would have thought! Sometimes the entitlement is really confusing

1 Like