New network setup from scratch

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Mac mini (Mid 2011)
Processor: 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory: 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Apple AirPort Extreme, ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Setup 1
From Mac mini to Rega DAC with Audioquest Vodka optical cable
From DAC to XTZ A100 D3 amp with Audioquest interlinks
From amp to Dynaudio Facette speakers with Audioquest CV-8 speaker cables

Setup 2
Source to be chosen
Pre amp: Rotel/amp Rotel
Speakers: XTZ 99.16
Everything else to be chosen

Description Of Issue

In april we move in to our new house. Network has to be build from ground up. Setup 1 will go in the living room. Setup 2 wil be installed in a new to build music/game/movie room.
My question is what would be the best way to get good quality music in that room? There is no wired network connection yet, but I want to arrange one. What would be the best, affordable source? I.e. Raspberry Pi? Maybe Roon ready player? What would be the best way to get access to the network?
Many thanks for help and answers.
Btw, I tried to search for existing topics, but couldn’t find one…

Hi @Jumakisa,

You’ll definitely want to use Ethernet for best stability of this zone.

If you want a Roon Ready player, there are many to choose from, you can find a few on our Partners Device Matrix.

If you just want a Roon Bridge that connects via USB to the Rotel, some popular options are Allo USBridge / Sonore micro/ultraRendu or a Rasberry Pi running Ropiee/DietPi.

7 posts were split to a new topic: Best Roon Endpoint for ~€1,000?

Hi @Jumakisa,

As you’re searching for the right endpoint, I did want to mention one other thing regarding your post here:

You should be aware that we suggest customers to not use Apple Networking Gear, as we have often seen issues surrounding such equipment, enough issues that we explicitly mention staying away from Apple gear in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

You may also want to upgrade the router (before even getting the new endpoints purchased). While we can’t comment on a specific router model to use, generally speaking ASUS, TP-Link, Netgear routers have had the least amount of complaints on this forum.

If you want to start of small, you could try using a Roon Bridge device first and see how you get on with the current setup, a Rasberry Pi based Roon Bridge would be the cheapest option (setting up DietPi/Ropieee might require some time on your end though).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.