New NUC install won't boot

:+1:t2: glad it worked for you!

HI, Iā€™m going through this now and have set things as described above with usb boot priority and am about to jump in but the thing is, I have WIN 10 on my installed drive and legacy boot also shows no boot drive. the NMVe shows up elsewhere but not in this list, only windows boot manager on Part 1 in the uefi list

Am I missing something or is this normal?

EDIT: So I jumped in and everything did work out quite easily but the instructions do not make the process as clear as it could be. In my case there were no drives to reorder regarding boot order that led me to believe there was nowhere to install Roon.

Yep. there is something different about the NUC8 BIOS where the previous description doesnā€™t really come close to matching what the new process is. This was my recollection of the BIOS process:

After you have updated the BIOS. Turn the NUC off. (Just press the power down and it will power down.

Hold down F2 as you turn on the NUC.

Press F9 to set BIOS to factory defaults.

Select the Legacy Tab.

Check that Legacy Boot is enabled.

Underneath the box, click the blue ā€œAdvancedā€ box

A screen titled Intel Visual BIOS will come up and underneath that are a row of boxes.

Select Devices

Then select the PCI tab

Check that the M.2 Slot is checked (it may be turned off).

At the bottom of the screen hit F10 to save everything.

Hold down the F2 key as the NUC reboots. It will bring up the Visual BIOS screen again.

Click on the Legacy Tab. The M.2 drive should now be listed

Drag the M.2 SSD drive to the first in order.

Make sure Enable USB Boot is still enabled.

Select F10 to save and exit.

When the NUC powers up it may try to boot from the network. If you are getting a message like that just press the power button to turn off the NUC.

Now you can proceed to Step 3 of the ROCK installation instructions.

Is this your recollection?
One problem seems to be the M.2 drive slot may be disabled by default. The other confusing problem seems to be that many of these changes donā€™t register until after youā€™ve rebooted.
I suppose if you are a ā€˜computer guyā€™ you take this for granted and do it reflexively. For the rest of us mortals, itā€™s more like a room full of monkeys with keyboards. You can get Shakespeare, it just takes a while.

2 Likes

Yes it pretty much happened the way you describe except my ssd never showed up at all. Having usb enabled,I just figured I could get back to here if I ran into problems.

One thing Iā€™ll add and hopefully this will be rectified soon is that Intel upped the bios about 10 days ago v.0079 and it will not load at all. either from windows, F2 from usb nor hold the front button 3.5 seconds. Itā€™s pretty well documented on the intel support site. Given the newness of the bios I figured I wouldnā€™t lose anything by staying with the last version till intel fix this.

TBH if your machine is working well, there is no point in updating the BIOS unless it fixes something you need fixing, or adds additional device support or performance improvement that you want adding.

Yes agreed, I was just doing it out of completeness to the instructions. Gonna forget about it as long as it works.

They have pulled that bios update, it has mangled lots of NUCs including mine. There is a thread about it in the Tinkering section

Thanks - very helpful. I just started a NUC7i3 (did not dare to go for an 8 or even more) and had all the ā€œSSD not showing up issuesā€ - then I rebooted with the ROCK USB in - and a ā€¦someLinuxā€¦BOOTING message came up - I went to eat dinner, and when I came back it was still there - and I decided to reboot - and voila - it said ROCK in no time and all good.
So - all in all - a bit confusing - but ended well.

2 Likes

I stumbled upon the exact problem and thanks to your effort, was able to complete the installation of ROCK on my NUC

I just bought a NUC8i7BEH to run Roon and I am having the same issues:

Mmemory and M2.SSD installed. Doublechecked that they are inserted properly. They are, but the SSD is just not being found by the system.

The BIOS flashes OK to the latest version, but on a reboot it does not find any bootable devices. I flashed to Roon OS on a USB stick, but even that does not get seen, using F7, it only displays the IP4 and IP6 network addresses as bootable devices.

F2 does not get me anywhere. It boots up to an empty screen.

I understand there is no booptable OS yet, as Roon is not installed, but if the BIOS does not even show the USB drive that I have the image on, that is hard to doā€¦

Any ideas?

NB: The BIOS version I flashed is 00o78, not that faulty version 79 that was pulled a few days ago.

Yesterday installed ROCK into a new NUC8i5 with NVMe SATA and 2,5" SATA SSD.
First time showed boot from LAN, After going to BIOS I told it, to boot from USB, both Drives were shown so far. After that ROCK installs and runs.
My first install on a NUC8 a year ago didnĀ“t show this behaviour.

Problem is, I cant seem to get into that Bios menu to change boot optionsā€¦All i get are those network adresses described above.

Update: I kept trying but I just cant get into the ā€žfullā€œ Bios menu. I flashed the BIOS again, and again it said it complete successfully. on the screen with those two network addresses it says ā€žBios 78ā€œ, so that step must have completed ok.

I flashed the Rock OS on another USB stick to exclude that that the stick may be faulty - to no avail. Same problem.

Anybody any idea? Otherwise Iā€˜m going to return this thing to Amazon and hunt for a used NUC7, that seems to work at last.

Have you:
disabled safe boot
changed from UEFI to BIOS
When I install Linux that usually solves any problems I have.

How? If i cant get into the BIOS boot-optionsā€¦

Try the old keep a key pressed on your keyboard during POST to get a keyboard error and try to enter BIOS?

I pressed a key, different, ones and also two at once during boot. Desā€™nt do anything. Keeps coming with the same message ā€œChecking media presenceā€¦ā€ and then: ā€œA bootable device has not been detectedā€

Even with the stick with the ROON OS Stick inserted, the message doesnt change.

Maybe try to reset the cmos ā€¦ but what sort of keyboard are you using? Try a different USB port for the keuboard or a different keyboard even

I only have one USB keyboard, in fact bought that for the purposeā€¦

I get into the bios flash option (F2), so I dont think it the keyboard, but Iā€˜ll trya different USb port.

Did you flash the BIOS via holding the power button as Iā€™m trying to understand how you managed it. Does your USB keyboard work on another machine ( I know mine is usually gathering dust somewhere except for the occassional specific use) Regarding components if youā€™ve got 2 memory sticks have you tried removing one to see if you can access BIOS, same goes for the M2

try some of these

1. Access the power button menu with this sequence:
  2. Make sure the system is off, and not in Hibernate or Sleep mode.
  3. Press the power button and hold it down for three seconds and release it. The power button menu should display.
    Tip: If the system boots to the OS after trying this procedure then you didnā€™t hold the button quite long enough.
    If the system simply shuts down after trying this procedure then you held the button too long (longer than 4 seconds).
  4. Press F3 to disable Fast Boot.