New NUC/ROCK dropping audio after reboot

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

NUC8i3BEH/8GB RAM/256GB m.2 SSD/500GB SATA SSD storage/ROCK Version 1.0 (build 174) stable/ROON Version 1.6 (build 416) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Core is hardwired to endpoints over ethernet.

Netgear GS608v3 and Prosafe GS105 switches, Zyxel GS-108S Gigabit switch, Plusnet (Sagemcom) 2407n router.

Remotes are hardwired to laptops and WiFi to iPhones.

Audio Devices (Specify what device youā€™re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Meridian 818v3/ID41 (Ethernet), Meridian 861v4/ID40 (Ethernet)

Description Of Issue

On a newly built NUC/ROCK with migrated library, Iā€™m having an odd issue where the core drops the endpoint and interrupts playback when adding more tracks to the queue.

When this occurs, as a new track is added to the queue, the endpoint drops and playback is interrupted instantly. Iā€™m then required to select the audio zone again. Momentarily, the zone wonā€™t be available, but will then pop back up. Roon then skips to the next track in the queue, and the track which was interrupted then shows as played, with a number of seconds elapsed (e.g. 10 seconds, depending on when it was interrupted).

Previously, Iā€™d noticed this when adding the second track to the queue while already playing the first, whereas this morning this happened repeatedly while adding multiple tracks.

After a few tracks have played successfully, this seems to ā€˜stabiliseā€™ and not happen any more.

This behaviour never occurred once in 3 years of using the old core on my old laptop, using exactly the same network infrastructure and endpoints - the only thing which has changed is the new NUC/ROCK core which was implemented last week.

Just a thought, but what is the setting (in Settings/Library) for your ā€œBackground Audio Analysis Speedā€? I would expect it to be set to ā€œThrottledā€.

1 Like

Hi @ScreenMachine,

During this time is there any import / analysis being performed?

Does this occur for all endpoints youā€™re trying to play to? If you reboot and start playing to System Output of a remote is there any change in this behavior?

1 Like

Background Audio Analysis Speed is set to Throttled and on-demand to Fast, but I donā€™t believe thereā€™s any analysis currently happening as I let that happen overnight to begin with and no new files have been added recently. Thereā€™s none showing at the moment, for example.

Not as far as Iā€™m aware (see above answer).

Does this occur for all endpoints youā€™re trying to play to? If you reboot and start playing to System Output of a remote is there any change in this behavior?

Good question - Iā€™ll try to replicate and get back to you!

1 Like

OK, so far, having tried a couple of times, I canā€™t replicate this on other devices (not that Iā€™ve tried all of them).

However, on the second try, Iā€™ve also lost the Meridian endpoints from the zones list. This does tend to happen on my setup, no idea why. Usually I then have to reboot the whole network one at a time, ending with the switch in the listening room and the Meridian gear. This usually happens when I switch off the Meridians (weā€™ve had a threat of overnight storms for a couple of nights here, so Iā€™ve been completely powering down everything and disconnecting from the mains and ethernet before bedtime).

Iā€™ll get it working again when I have a moment later on, and report back what behaviour I get this time.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.