New Nucleus One - not recognizing attached Hard Drive with FLAC file music library

Just got my Nucleus One, set up went fine, migrated old Roon database from QNAP NAS on SSD to Nucleus, currently streaming my Music Library from same NAS found on an HDD. I am trying to migrate my music library to a Samsung SSD that I will soon place in Nucleus. I want to avoid copying almost 1GB of music files wirelessly from NAS to Nucleus and was hoping to do it via USB attached HD. All my music FLAC files are copied onto a Seagate portable HD formatted with APFS (Apple preferred format).

When I attach the Seagate to the Nucleus via USB, I cannot locate the HD. It does not appear as an option under “Storage”. When I try to “Add Folder”, the Seagate is not there and I do not know how to add it as a “Network Share” since I cannot locate it on my network while it is attached to the Nucleus.

As an aside, the Nucleus One appears under Finder on my iMac, and if I migrate to “Data” → “Storage” there is nothing there, even though the Ext HD is attached and appears mounted (light is blue).

Any suggestions?

I don’t think that APFS is a disc format supported by Roon OS.

The normal recommendation is to format the USB disk using exFAT or ext4. The former gives maximum portability to other OS’s.

Devices connected directly to Nucleus by USB

If your music is stored on an external USB drive, plug it into your Nucleus now. Nucleus supports USB drives pre-formatted as EXT2/3/4, VFAT/FAT32/FAT16/exFAT, NTFS, or HFS/HFS+. Note that HFS/HFS+ (also known as “Mac OS Journaled”) is read-only, which means that the Nucleus will not be able to make changes or store new music on the USB drive.

USB Storage - Best Practice

If you’re going to directly connect a USB drive to your server, you will have some options about how you want to format your drive.

We recommend USB drives connected to ROCK be formatted exFAT if you require compatibility, or EXT4 if you don’t.

Advantages of using exFAT include:

1. Cross-platform compatibility (macOS, Windows, Linux)

2. No real limits on drive size or file size

ROCK will also work with NTFS ,FAT32, and EXT2/3/4 drives, but if you are starting fresh with USB storage, our recommendation would be to use exFAT.

I was afraid of that. Are you certain? (Would be nice to hear from someone at Roon).

When you query Apple they now say APFS is their recommended formatting for hard drives for Time Machine, etc.

APFS is very new, in filesystem time scales. (This is complicated stuff :slight_smile: ) Apple doesn’t help implementing it for other operating systems. There is an implementation for Linux but the free one isn’t super mature and probably not a great fit for an appliance like the Nucleus. There is no support in Windows, either.

Paragon Software specializes in providing file system drivers for non-native OSes and also has an APFS implementation for Windows and Linux, but it’s pay software and Roon would have to include it which may or may not be straightforward. In the best case, it adds complexity. And although Paragon is great at what they do, I probably wouldn’t use it yet for critical data if I don’t have to.

In any case, music storage is not a high-performance application and data doesn’t change much. extFAT is just fine for it. Though of course there’s the slight annoyance of having to copy the music off before reformatting.

OK, so I located another ext HD formatted as MS-DOS (FAT 32) with all my music files previously copied (lucky me) and this HD is indeed recognized within the Roon software when asked to “Add Folder”.

Now, once I install the new SSD in the Nucleus, I’m not sure by what means I can copy all those FLAC files from the ext HD to the internal SSD. On my iMac/Finder window, will the new (blank) internal SSD in the Nucleus appear under Data/Storage and the old external HD appear there as well? And then I can just drag/drop from one folder to the other?

First of all, ensure that you follow the proper sequence. See Step 3: Configuration and then Internal Storage here:

For the actual act of copying to the internal disk, yes, you can access the internal storage in the Finder. Come to think of it, in this case it’s best anyway to connect the USB disk to the Mac and copy from this disk to the internal storage in the Finder.

See Importing Music to Internal Storage and then SMB Connection (Alternate Option) here:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.