New Nucleus Plus dropping out

Netgear Modem>Asus GT-11000AX Router>Trend Network
TEG-S80g Switch>Nucleus Plus. QNAP T-251>Netgear Powerline1200>Linn SelectDSM. All ethernet connected.

I have been experiencing during use several connection losses to Roon where the program losses connection for approximately 2-4 minutes several times during a 4-5 hour listening session everyday. After several minutes the connection comes back and all is fine for about 5 minutes then loses connection again. After three times of this it works fine for the rest of the session. This just started about a week or so ago. I have done all the necessary resets; Modem, router, Nucleus, etc…
When this occurs I check the router status directly from my router and there has been NO signal interruptions. I’ve had the Nuc+ for only a month. It occurs about three or four times during use then all is good. Could this be a defective unit?

You didn’t say what switch you’re using. Roon doesn’t like managed switches. If you have one that may be the problem.

Actually I did
It’s a trend net8-port and since installing my network has been better.

I think David was refering to the actual model number of the switch, like TEG-S80g, which is the baseliine 8 port unmanaged model.

This is the one I have

1 Like

Hi @Robert_Zinn — Sorry for the trouble here!

During this time where Roon is unavailable are you able to access the Nucleus Web Administration Interface?

Yes
I have attached my direct link and this is what I get

Add images

Additionally as I mentioned I can monitor the activity of my network by accessing my router which will inform me of any anomalies in my network and all reports show the network is fine, I would be notified of any hiccups within my network. It shows there were none and all had been stable. For the first 3 weeks after I purchased this all was good up until these started to occur a couple of weeks ago.
Thank you

How does the audio travel from the QNAP to the Nucleus?

Over the network via ethernet from the router
I have checked the 1200 signal connection with a direct connection to my pc. Stable and strong.
Thank you

Quoted from Roon’s Best Networking Practices

Ethernet Over Power (EoP)

The quality of Ethernet Over Power solutions varies quite a bit, and generally it will be less reliable than Ethernet. There are times it can work well, but if you’re having a problem and powerline ethernet is involved, we recommend temporarily replacing the ethernet over power connection with a real ethernet cable to see if things improve.

Would love to run a direct ethernet to my end point but it’s an almost impossible run. I think I ruled out the power line as the problem as it showed strong and stable during the disconnection

It would be helpful if the entire audio chain was detailed:

For example what I get from your description is:

Nucleus > ethernet > TrendNet > ethernet >Router > ethernet >Qnap
… . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . , , , , , , , , ,. . . . . . . . . . >ethernet >Powerline> Linn

In this case, I think those Router’s ethernet ports are managed, and you should check to see that

ASUS Routers

We recommend enabling “Enable Multicast Routing” option in settings.

I have done this
Thank you
I’ll see if this works

The problem is still occurring after making the setting adjustments as you suggested however I was monitoring the QNAP T-251 and when the problem occurs the CPU goes nuts, going from 2% to as high as 60% until roon comes back on its own then the CPU stabilizes back down to between 2-6% if this helps you to better help me with this problem. I do NOT have the Roon app installed on the QNAP. This has become unrelenting. It’s been happening every 10 minutes or so all day and becoming impossible to use.

This type of problem is difficult to diagnose via the forum. I’ll give you an example of my own. My Nucleus played great for more than two years. Suddenly it started dropping out. Sometimes it would play for hours, sometimes it would drop out four our five times in five minutes. It would always come back, but I had to restart the song each time. My endpoint was a Win10 PC connected via ethernet to a Modi DAC then to the amp. The Nucleus was connect to my router via powerline. I moved the Nucleus from the powerline and connected directly to the modem. No good. I swapped every cable; ethernet, USB, etc. No good. I bought a new router. No good. Finally put together a Pi based endpoint running Ropieee connected to my router. Problem solved. Even though my PC was rock solid on the network, it was intermittent from the Nucleus. I have no idea what the problem was, but trial and error came up with a solution. If you want this stuff to work, you just have to trial and error until you come up with a solution.

You might try temporarily moving your Linn so you can hook it directly to the router. If that doesn’t work, you can try a different endpoint. As I said above, a Raspberry Pi is cheap and easy to build. Then USB to the Linn, or depending on your setup, bypass the Linn altogether.

Thank you
I have tried everything except the Powerline, so I’m going to run an ethernet directly from my network switch to the Linn. Curiously I experienced the same problem as you. Works perfectly for months and for no apparent reason continually dropping out and reconnecting. Today all day dropping and restarting. I don’t think anything will be better then a dedicated direct ethernet connection to the LINN. If this doesn’t work you may find my entire rig on EBAY. May better connecting via Wi Fi Rather than a connection from the Powerline.

So you’re using the Raspberry Pi as your core?