Networking Gear & Setup Details

Google Nest Wifi
No VPN

Connected Audio Devices

KEF LS50 Wireless II

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Just got a new Nucleus.

1. It’s not recognizing the external hard drive (Samsung 1TB SSD) that holds most of my music, so I can’t transfer tracks to the internal memory nor play them right now.

2. Trying to use my Macbook as a remote, it cannot find the core despite seeing the IP address. Remote works fine on my Samsung Fold 4, but again, I can’t see the external drive.

3. Tidal seems to be working fine.

Thanks for any help.

I moved this to the Nucleus Support category, hopefully this means faster help for you

About problem 1:

• What is the file format of the external HD? NTFS? Did you ever connect this to a Windows computer?
  • Or was it used with a different Nucleus before and is then probably formatted as exFAT?
  • Can you read it when connected to the Macbook?

Problem 2: Is your core and Macbook wired or on wifi?

1 Like

Thanks…first post here.

I just solved problem 2 through a rebooting of everything and resetting the wifi from new. Yay!

On one. Never connected to a Windows machine. I can read it when connected to my Macbook. It was used as an external drive when I had a Mac Mini as the core. Is that the issue? How do I solve that?

Thanks for the help already!

@Brandon_Borrman, the latest ROCK/RoonOS build had an update made to its USB driver and some NTFS drives that were not ejected properly from a Windows PC can result in connection issues. Even though this drive has been used only on a Mac, it may worth it if possible to connect it to a PC and then eject it. While Nucleus’ and ROCKs can read many drive formats, Roon recommends ExFAT for compatibiliity, but this is not as storage-efficient as NTFS.

I don’t know if worth it because if it was NTFS, the Mac would not read it (without installing additional stuff). If it’s exFAT, I don’t think it has this issue.

But maybe best to try. @Brandon_Borrman if you do this, perform the “safe remove” operation on Windows:

On the Mac, I think the equivalent is:

Don’t just pull the USB cable

1 Like

@Suedkiez, Macs can read NTFS drives, but need a driver to write to them. Absolutely agree with your recommendation above.

I know, hence I said “(without installing additional stuff)”. The OP did not strike me as the type - maybe too much of an assumption.
Though if his Mac does have NTFS drivers, then connecting it to the Mac and performing the safe eject as in the above Mac link might just fix it.

1 Like

Thank you both for the recommendations. I’ll give it a try this afternoon.

Hey @Brandon_Borrman,

It’s great to see you on the Roon Community! You have my sincerest apologies for the delayed response here, we’ve been dealing with a higher-than-usual volume following our release and we’re working as quickly as we can to get back to everyone.

I wanted to follow up on this thread to see if you were still experiencing issues with getting your external drive recognized on your Nucleus?

I’ll be monitoring this thread for your reply :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.