New Pi and tracks skipping

That doesn’t explain why, in my case, rebooting the RPi fixes skipping.

If you haven’t tried a USB based wifi congee with antenna then I would do so. RPi wifi is notoriously bad. some dongles are not all they are cracked up to be either.

Mr Wizardofox can you send a link to that device.
We spent some time trying to find a USB dongle that would work with Ropieee, so it would be good to keep one in an Amazon wishlist for the next time someone has an issue

I don’t have any links to things sadly only devices I had laying around in my collection. Should be plenty from the likes pihut etc

thanks for that, sadly many of them do not work with Ropieee which was where we spent ages looking for something that Steve could use in his metal case.

TP-Link Archer T2U Nano
TP-Link Archer T4U
Edimax AC 600 (EW-7811UTC)
Comfast CF-912AC

These are the one I’ve got lying around (and can thus test and support), but there are more as I’ve added more Realtek drivers.

I’ll make sure we add it to the documentation. Would be great if we can organize something so people report their specific dongle working with RoPieee (because there are certainly more than these 3).

Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks Harry this is useful information to help others in the future who want to use WiFi with Ropieee

This was shipped with my OKTO DAC8 Stereo and runs fine with Ropieee on Rpi 4

Grab 2021-11-02 at  15.36.38

Here is something I scavenged from a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic unit that was having other (USB) issues. Other than N150 on it it doesn’t give much away.

2 Likes

Thank you Sir

1 Like

You see I think I am jinxed :grinning:
I get a Pi and they have a problem with Wifi. Apparently there is a bug in the new software release or something. It will hopefully be sorted by the weekend.

Anyway I have now added a BT Wifi Disc in my office. This has dramatically increased the wifi signal in there. The Disc also has an ethernet port so the Pi is hardwired into that for now.
Ideally I want the Pi to work with wifi …so we will see.

Also I am now considering a dedicated streamer. Project and Primare seem to have some reasonably priced units. If I have an Ethernet port in my office now it does open up a few more options, and I can sell the Pi on as its all configured and set up for Roon.

1 Like

Steve good news in part at lease, you can add a £25 switch to that Disc.
A lot of us use the Netgear GS108 here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS108UK-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B0000E5SES/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=netgear+108+switch&qid=1635941168&sr=8-1

Also if you are mainly going to use Roon for Streaming I can recommend the Zen Stream which at £399 is cheap and works really well for Roon & HQPlayer (but ignore everything else that it does for now). It has good components and sounds very good so worth adding to your list.

Hi Michael
I dont think I need a switch as the streamer will be the only thing I need to hardwire in my office.

I love Ifi products, but I dont like the aesthetics of the Zen if I am honest. Anyway I guess there is no rush for this if I get the Pi up and running.
I have a new Qutest and Niimbus US5 Pro on order so really looking forward to receiving these.
Its a funny old hobby but since I moved into my detached house I have used my headphones more and more :grinning:

1 Like

Good thing there are so many products on the market, just many of them are quite pricey
The Pi should work well for you, and if you are not happy you can always improve the power supply and USB cable and add a USB suppressor, but that starts to get closer to the Zen stream, though it is smaller. You will hopefully have fun now you have everything in place and can enjoy the music again.

You move to a detached house not to offend the neighbours playing loud music (unless you have music on in the garden).
Strangely in my house my son who is 21 usually asks me to put my headphones on about midnight so the sub woofer does not bounce him out of his bed directly upstairs.

As I was told today it should be the other way around :wink:

Yes I think I would not go down the route of improving the Pi. The Primare NP5 and Project products appeal more than going down that route…but we will see how it goes.

1 Like

Steve, I am sorry you are having so much trouble with this.

I am happy to say, though, that the Pi can be made to work. I took a Pi 3B+, absolutely bog-standard, no “hat”, RoPieee, and ran it with wi-fi (because the 3B+ shares its Ethernet jack with the USB bus, it’s not recommended to use it with wired Ethernet) and it worked perfectly for me. I was using a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk as my wi-fi router. This year I moved to a long and narrow house, and instead of the Netgear wi-fi router, I put in an Asus mesh w-fi system, plugged in the same Pi, and it worked again.

Ok a question.
Is it classed as hard wired if my Pi is connected by Ethernet to the Wifi disc ?

If the disk is connected back to the main router via lan then yes. If the disk is just connected via WiFi to the rest of the house WiFi then it’s going be depending on the stability and strength of that WiFi connection.

Which is what I think you are implying so then the answer is no. Wired means all the way back to the router for whatever you are connecting it to.

Sounds like the disk is just a receiver/repeater with a lan port

1 Like

I thought as much. Yes it’s connected to the WiFi disc , which is not hardwired to the router . Thanks for the clarification

So here is another question, I am trying to understand all of this.
My Pi is wired to the Wifi Disc and so far its working flawlessly. So this is still effectively using Wifi?

So when I try to use the Pi without the ethernet cable into the Wifi Disc my network just does not see it.
Why could this be if it is effectively using Wifi on both occasions

Steve not quite.
If you are using Ethernet to the Pi then that is Ethernet, the disc will have it’s on 2 or 3 channel connection back to the main router.

This is what is called back haul and all the devices that go over this are fed back to the router over WiFi. It’s usually got a more powerful Ariel built-in and these tend to work great for people struggling to get connected from parts of the house.
I think that the BT disc’s are two channel so can break down a little under heavy load as opposed to a tri channel solution that is designed for lots of devices streaming tv, music and playing games at the same time.

Trust me I think for the use case you have outlined the BT disc should be extremely reliable and work very well indeed.

Hopefully it will be the end of your issues but not of your networking education :grin:

1 Like