New Pi and tracks skipping

Does adding another data point upstairs give me another set of issues?
I think this makes sense if its not too expensive as I now listen to my headphones a lot more than my main system so adding a data point to the office gives me more long term flexibility too I guess.

There would be no issue adding Ethernet to your room, it is the gold standard for fast connectivity.
If you are going to do it get two points added near your router and in your upstairs as it will cost only a little more to do one than having one.

I already had one done when I moved in as I hassled the builder. They did it for nothing :grinning:
I will have to pay for this one.

So I have my router in the hallway. My other data point is in my living room as they ran a wire through my garage and into my living room.
So I just need another data point in my Office/Bedroom now .

1 Like

Of course this is a lot of hassle and expense to just be able to use Roon in the office.
I could just use nativeTidal app on my lap topā€¦I will see how stable this is.

An update 90 minutes using the Pi at present with no dropouts , skipping or any other issues.
Streaming music is brilliant ā€¦but very frustrating at times :grinning:

1 Like

And that I can agree with.
Roon RAAT seems to put a lot of WiFi over the edge, which is why they recommend Ethernet.

Yeah but itā€™s supposed to be a multi room solution , so we canā€™t all have data points in every room .
I will see how things go , and once again thanks for your input

1 Like

I only wish I could help you get to a better working solution.

1 Like

Itā€™s odd that the native Tidal works fine but Roon doesnā€™t. RAAT shouldnā€™t be adding that much extra overhead to the stream. I take it you have the same quality setting on both the Tidal app and Roon?

What model RPi are you using and what audio distro are you running on it? You mention Tidal Connect so I assume youā€™re not running Ropieee which would be the recommend distro to use with Roon (at least to start & to keep things simple to debug). If you can Iā€™d swap to Ropieee as itā€™s far more of a known quality with Roon users.

I guess the first thing to check is how strong your WiFi reception is where the RPi is placed? There are various network scanning tools that will help you check this. Just run one on a laptop or phone near to where the RPi is located, and it should give you an idea of how good the reception is at that position. That will help identify if the issue is WiFi related or something else.

Would also be interesting to see what happens if you use a wired ethernet connection, even if itā€™s just a long cable used for testing purposes. If itā€™s works that way without issues then it would indicate an issue with your WiFi network or the RPi board itself. You mentioned that the person who sold it to you to alluded to the WiFi being a bit iffy/flaky, which isnā€™t a particularly good sign ā€” with a decent WiFi signal the RPi 4 shouldnā€™t be having these issues, even when housed in a metal case, although always worth trying it without and then swapping to a plastic enclosure if that helps).

Do you by any chance have a WiFi extender handy, one with an Ethernet port ?

You could try Ethernet from the extender to the pi like a big aerial

Or even just to boost the WiFi in the room , I use one just to give a better signal to my hand helds.

Jamie he is using Rooopie on a Pi 4.
Its running WiFi and it is in a Metal case

I have been trying to get Steve to take it out of the case and test it that way

Ah, I didnā€™t realise that Ropiee supported Tidal Connect, at least not officially. Hence why I assumed it was some other distro.

Yes, I agree, taking it out of the metal case and/or running a long Ethernet cable are problay the easiest/quickest way to check if itā€™s WiFI related or not. But would also be worth running a wifi network scan to see if the issue is general network/wifi related (ie. a dead spot in reception) or if itā€™s the WiFi reception of Steveā€™s RPi board itself at fault.

1 Like

Hi Guys

I will try one of the wifi testing tools suggested.
My gut feeling is my Wifi has a good strength .

As an update 3 hours now using the Pi with no dropouts at all ā€¦

1 Like

I think only Rooopie XL supports extra services but I donā€™t use that myself anymore.

I had experience of a Pi in a metal case myself so understand those issues.
I used to wonder why all Piā€™s like that came in horrible acrylic cases then I found out the hard way

I have done a wifi test at exactly the point I have my Pi

It said my WIfi signal was nice and relaible. It was only one bar off the maximum

Just to add I took the four screws out of the bottom of the Pi and the metal case was still intact.
The black plastic floor of the Pi became loose but that was it.

I dont want to go down that route again.
Also if it was the Pi board then why are the problems worse with my lap top as the end point?

I will test my wifi signal at various times of the day maybe??

I used these last year with a very poor outcome. It made things a lot worse for my Wifi in my home.
Please dont ask me to explain how as I cant recall, but it did lead me to getting a new data point in my living room and a cable run from my main Fibre point.

Ok done a few tests now , most coming back as good strength but a couple coming back as one bar.
Saying poor signal
This is all it needs to stop flawless streaming I guess.
So a dongle in to the Pi?? Could this help?

I meant to use it to get an Ethernet cable local to your pi not to boost the WiFi signal as such , if you have one left over from your last tests it ma work,

Think of it as a big WiFi to Ethernet converter it will eliminate the pi WiFi as a cause

Itā€™s almost certainly a WiFi issue you are experiencing, I gave up and ran a cable when I had these issues and that wasnā€™t even with the demands of Roon

2 Likes

I have a Pi4 in a flirc case running Ropieee with Roon via WiFi. Onboard WiFi, no dongle. I have the Pi standing on its side so the plastic base is facing open air.

I have a synology router with 2 meshpoints. Closest mesh point to the Pi is circa 4M.

On Synology SRM I can test signal strength between router - meshpoints and connected devices.

My Pi usually maintains 200 Mbps from the meshpoint and with that I can listen to Qobuz hi-res via Roon with no drops or skips.

On the odd occasion that I have had drops or skips the connection between meshpoint and the Pi has been 30 Mbps. This is obviously not enough for Roon. I also found that without a reboot of Ropieee the Pi connection remained low / choppy.

For Roon on WiFi, a stable and high rate of connection is a must.

Thereā€™s a Ropieee thread on this forum where users have posted which dongles have worked and which donā€™t.

Iā€™m not sure getting rid of / replacing the Pi will solve your issues as if the WiFi is not of requisite quality then that needs addressing first.

2 Likes

Steve I am also a big fan of Flirc cases and I have two Piā€™s in them now.
This was the document I was thinking of but it does not mention USB WFi dongles.

Based on what you wrote about the wireless fluctuating in the Pi it will be a struggle.

There is a thread here that I am having a read though

Have a look at the link in this post to Amazon Germany

I have never tried these Steve, but sounds positive and cheap

Also this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081C2Y239/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?tag=roonlabs-21

1 Like