New Release anytime Roon?

OK, I don’t think the people who replied to you understood it that way. I didn’t.

1 Like

A release once a month is reasonable to me, and it does not to be a big jump in new features, just some bug fixes and any optional incremental updates such as better performance would be a bonus.

No problem, my fault for talking at cross purposes to the thread.

In terms of Roon as a whole, I am quite happy with it as it is now and am not waiting anxiously for further enhancements.

2 Likes

Are you referring to this?

That is dated June 24

The number of times I have experienced bloat software over the last 30 years is too often to mention. Focus, focus, focus is the mantra I would follow, to just focus on what we already have and make it better.

I don’t want Alexa or Siri integration. I just want Roon to remain rock solid and work! In other words play music impeccably. Improved metadata, yes and it is improving.

14 Likes

So no new features like the ones they came out with in the last update? Voice control isn’t a “focus” of the software?

+1. I wholeheartedly agreed.

Apple Watch control please… Long overdue. Here’s the scenario - I’m floating in the pool and a bizarre song ques up - need to go to the next track. Sure my iPhone is “water resistant”, but I’ve got my waterproof watch right on my wrist… Come on guys, if BlueSound can get it done surely you can!!!

4 Likes

Love it. You could always get your butler to change the track for you

1 Like

This is what I love about this forum. A potential argument that elsewhere would lead to a s**t storm. But here civility breaks out and all is goodness and light. Long may it continue.

4 Likes

That’s not really how modern software development works - its typically better to release small changes frequently rather than bundling up lots of changes and releasing less frequently where bugs/defects/compatibility issues are more likely and have to be unpicked from a large release of changes.

1 Like

I started with 1.6 so a relatively “new” user. I’ve seen it stabilize over time and little subtle changes with how things are working / responsiveness. My music interests are mostly categorized correctly and I’ve got a handful of artists which show absolutely no metadata at all; metadata could always improve and ultimately a big investment for a proper solution to this would be nice. That part is frustrating. I’ve got a few files out of place that, once I got to that part of the documentation, I realized I needed to move in order for Roon to recognize the multi-disc set correctly; that fix is on me.

When I first got my trial there was a lot of talk about a “cloud” or “mobile” version. Not a small undertaking. Certainly something I’d expect an entire team of developers could be dedicated too for over a year. Additionally, Roon Radio and Internet Radio was brand new and a good first release in my opinion but a major feature on top of that first release… that, again, felt like it’d take a long while to bake.

Roon 1.6 was “good enough” for me to buy a lifetime subscription. Maybe I should have demanded a multi-year “software roadmap” document before committing to lifetime but I didn’t and so the bits that have improved are good enough for me to stay a happy customer. I’m excited for what’s next but I’d rather wait and be excited when it comes out than be upset nothing was coming out and then even more upset when what comes out is half-baked.

Anyway, there is a ton other software to try that releases a lot faster. I still think 1.6 is better is it’s current form. Roon isn’t playing catch-up with anyone so pressure isn’t on them to keep-up… it’s on them to keep setting the bar. I accept that may take a little longer.

4 Likes

Since June 2015 there have been almost 60 releases to Roon–excluding Remote, ROCK or the back end infrastructure. Do the math.

What’s more, take a look at the number of builds (currently at 416) going toward each release and we can deduce that Roon has a defined release process–even though Roon publishes neither release schedule nor roadmap.

Roon may not have a fixed release cadence of your liking, but this doesn’t mean they’re not following their release schedule or a robust development process. Demanding regular releases can lead to release dates slipping, quality issues and disappointed customers; there is merit in releases having their own schedule.

5 Likes

The downside with that is unless you are running your Core 24/7 (which I don’t) and it happens to update overnight there is a significant disruption caused by multiple small updates.

I just want to be left alone to listen to my music and I definitely don’t want to be a beta tester either. :slightly_smiling_face:

Roon is part of my hifi infrastructure and not a phone/tablet app where i dont really care about some disruption/outage for updates.

I do not care if they are smaller updates or big releases, as long as Roon stays in development.

Would I like them to release the most perfect software with Editing for classical boxsets, phenomenal Metadata, superfast search, a Mobile Ooption, A way to edit Bio’s and Reviews etc - absolutely yes!
But I know that Roon is a rather small venture and not Apple (where I hardly get everything I wish for in every release) So I just wait and hope. As a wise man once said: Always buy a product or software for what it is at the moment of purchase and not for what it might be in the future.
Obviously they will release something when they believe it is ready. I guess it would help if they were slightly more vocal in this forum, giving us stuff to dream and chat about. It seems pretty quiet at the moment, this is something that might make users nervous.

You may want to doublecheck the definition of wise…

Help me out, I have not the faintest idea what you mean.

The internet radio curation initiative should give you plenty to consider. Roon are not standing still.

1 Like

What’s so exciting about that? There are a lot of other applications up there doing the Internet Radio as it supposed to be done without any curation or whatever (and way before roon existed). And I do not know exactly what the curation is for, but a simple “tune” like function is more than enough for my needs for example. I can do bad all by myself, I do not need the opinions of others about what to listen.

I’ll find more useful to know that if my radio stops for whatever reason roon will finally re-start it automatically (as other applications do)…