Roon 2.0: From Rumors To Reality

Ignoring the teaser video…

While what you say is true about a Roon mobile solution + new users/market, it’s also our single most demanded feature request from existing users since 2015! Even though only a very small subset of our users will vote on feature requests, it’s still the number #1 request.

9 Likes

Oh, you are getting our hopes up…

1 Like

If roon mobile is coming, I am thrilled. I like roon and just want it to be my way of interacting with music no matter where I am. I also like having a unified history of what I’ve listened to. fingers crossed and cant wait to see what’s coming up next for us.

5 Likes

Hmm, I guess that puts it one above the request for family profiles?

Good news for the profiles request then? :slightly_smiling_face:

If such a mobile solution gets announced it would most likely be a subscription service, probably included in current sub plans…

As someone currently trialing Roon and not yet sure if I go with yearly plan or lifetime, i would be interested to know if new services such as mobile Roon (as an example) would be offered to lifetimers with no additional (recurring) fees? Or would this be considered as an additional service not included in lifetime? Appreciate any clarification…

Hey @samtrino

Thank you for getting in touch, and welcome to Community! We’re happy to have you. Your question is one that we see frequently from new and potential Roon subscribers. I’m happy to clarify for you, this is something that Danny has touched upon in the past.

Any new features that are added to Roon, such as your mobile Roon example, will be included in your existing membership. We’re not going to do a-la-carte pricing for new features - that includes any new Roon-on-the-go additions. I hope this helps you make your Roon subscription decision. If we can help with any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask.

28 Likes

It might be the #1 requested feature but I suspect it’s nevertheless a minority desire among current Roon users. It doesn’t interest me at all, whereas synchronising Roon Cores across different properties does. You could try some user questionnaires to find out areas of interest. It might expand the market but then again it might dilute the focus from being The audiophile player for music fanatics, as it says on the home page.

1 Like

You can’t please everyone. If you decide to put in feature A, that’s usually at the cost of feature B. Sometimes you’ll be fortunate that your feature ends up in the release, sometimes you’re drawing the short straw. It is what it is.

5 Likes

Let’s put it another way: If they did introduce Roon mobile, would you use it?

Me? No. But I don’t listen to music when out of the house. Not when running and not when driving. I chose Roon for the HiFi experience at home. Of course, I’d try it out, but I can’t imagine using it myself.

2 Likes

Thanks Jamie! just to be clear, when you say “membership”, does that include lifetime?

1 Like

I thought it was feature suggestions and not requests, anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, membership is membership regardless of how it is billed.

4 Likes

Why do I bother saying anything at all?

:expressionless:

15 Likes

Allow me to say the opposite. Roon-on-the-go is my personally most wanted/needed feature. I want to stop messing about with cloud all you can eat streaming service nonsense and run my own. And I want it to be Roon because it’s the best music administration software on the planet. I saw the teaser video (and posted it above) because I’ve been checking the homepage every single time I touched a computer in the past couple of weeks since the teaser tweet.

As for the person wanting to synchronize roon cores … just synchronize your computers with SyncThing. Takes five minutes to setup. It’s what I do. I also have all my music on the go on my phone with SyncThing, but specifically want Roon to play it. SyncThing solves a lot. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My Roon Core is Roon ROCK on an Intel NUC. Synchronising the music library is something I already do with rsync run from a cron job every day, which works fine. The harder part is synchronising the Roon database.

1 Like

“Roon on the go” is wanted by far more people than “synchronising Roon Cores across different properties” is and is a far more compelling feature. Lots of Roon customers have wanted this since the beginning. Comparatively few Roon customers have Roon setups in multiple locations that need synchronizing.

8 Likes

I don’t know if I would use Roon-to Go that much or not, but it’s a big deal for Roon’s business evolution and long term viability. A slew of new subscribers would fund improvements, and those roll out to all of us, home and mobile users alike. Firmware and program improvements are positive.

6 Likes

SyncThing is great to sync one’s music collection, I use it extensively for my music collection, but using it to try to sync the Roon database would be a recipe for database corruption. Sure, one could do a Roon database backup to a folder managed by SyncThing, and later restore that backup onto a different core server, but there are many ways of messing this up. That’s why doing the Roon database sync under Roon’s control is necessary for those of us who regularly move between locations with fixed audio systems.

3 Likes

Do you need to sync the database though? Syncing music should do it, Roon should be able to maintain the local databases independently. Changes would be incremental.