New Roon installation on WIn 10 , restoring backup from Roon on Audiolinux, does not start

Details on your Core machine (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

• Pinkfaun 2.16X Server, running on Audiolinux, AMD 7 3700 processor, 16GB RAM, 1 HD Samsung SSD 250GB for Roon + 2nd HD Samsung 4TB SSD for local music
  • Roon version 1.8 build: 778
  • HQPlayer: HQPlayer Embedded 4.19.1

Details on your Remote(s) (OS, Hardware specs, Roon build)

• iPad Air 2 – 64GB - running iPadOS 14.4 - Roon build: 764
  • Samsung S10e – running Android version 11 kernel 4.14.113-20607146 – Roon build :764
  • PC running Windows 10 Pro - Intel(R) Core™ i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz Ram 8GB, Roon build: 764

Networking details (especially what hardware you’re using, how everything is connected, and anything notable about how it’s all configured)

• Ethernet & Wifi Mesh network built on 3 * Asus Zenwifi XT8
  • Connected to Service Provider modem
  • Speedtest connection speed ethernet 93Mbps download – 18Mbps upload
  • Roon Core connected via ethernet, Remote PC connected via ethernet
  • Mobile Remotes connected via Wifi

Audio devices in use

• T+A 8 DSD connected to Roon Core, using HQPlayerEmbedded, connected via USB
  • Endpoints : 2 * Logitech Squeezebox Touch , connected via Wifi

Library details

• Local library on separate internal SSD 4TB harddisk in Roon Server
  • Qobuz Hi-fi Sublime streaming service
  • 59018 tracks (3885 albums – 2297 local, 1588 Qobuz)

Backup details

• Location 1 : System disk 250Gb on Core Machine
  • Location 2 : Synology NAS 10,8 TB capacity
  • Location 3 : USB disk connected to Synology NAS - 7,2 TB capacity

Description of Issue

WRITE HERE

Disclaimer: I have read and followed the following instructions from the Knowledge Base facts.

Issue:

I am trying to setup a second instance on a Windows 10 Pro machine, using a restore from my primary install on an Audiolinux server (Pinkfaun 2.16X).

Here are the techincal details about the Windows platform

Installation of the software runs fine, unauthorizing of the Primary installation allows me to connect to and log in at the Windows installation. I can execute a restore of a backup, made especially for this exercise.
After succesfull resore, Roon requests me to relaunch.

Clicking on this field stops Roon completely, Roon does not relaunch by itself.
So, I restart Roon manually, I am requested to login.

After succesfull login then I get a empty screen with the Roon logo blinking.

A lot of CPU/memory resources are being used for quite some time (> 1 hour ?), but nothing happens.

Some time later, CPU and memory usage are falling back to minimum, but still nothing happens, excoet for the white screen with the blinking logo.

To be able to use Roon again as Roon Control for my primary install, I have to uninstall Roon completely and re-install from scratch.

Any guidelines to what I should do?

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

Not official support as you know, but, if you setup the Windows 10 PC and DO NOT restore a backup, just add Tidal or Qobuz and point storage to the local Windows music folder, does it work normally? Just trying to see if the failure is happening in the backup or the actual installation. (forgive me if you did this and I missed it in your post).

All is working fine, if I do not execute a restore, and just add my music storage locations.
However, I have ‘upvalued’ Roon with metadata, artist pictures, lyrics, unidentified albums, tags, bookmarks, … that I do not want to repeat all that manual effort.
Dirk

Hmm. On the face of it, it sounds like the backup is bad… Do you have an older backup to try?

Backup is excellent, as it was used the day before yesterday to restore my streamer after an OS & HQplayer upgrade.
Dirk

So, just to make that support would not be wasting anytime looking into this case, I have tested 2 older backups on the specified Windows 10 platform.
I repeated the whole process on another Windows 10 64bit laptop.

Always the same result - Roon going nowhere, and I have to uninstall & reinstall in order to use either WIn10 pc as Roon Control.

Thanks in advance to @support to take a serious lookat this problem.
Dirk

Hey @Dirk_De_Taey,

Thank you for the very thorough and telling post in the #support category. We appreciate you reaching out about this and sorry for the trouble.

To help with more insight and possible next steps, I’ve moved your thread into our technical team’s queue. You should hear back from one of them here.

:pray:

Hi @Dirk_De_Taey ,

Thank you for your patience here while your case reached our queue.
Can we please ask that you submit a Core log set for review following the restore?
You can access logs by using these instructions, any questions just let us know, thanks!

Hi Noris

You can find the following zipfiles in Dropbox:

logfiles after manual start and stop
Logfiles after succesfull restore backup and clicking relaunch

Dirk