New Roon user in Apple universe - seeking confirmation...

I’m in my first month of using Roon. So far going great with this setup:

Core on a MacBook Air I5 (early 2015) 4 Gb - running only Roon maintained via sharing;
Music on a DIY FreeBSD/ZFS NAS 6 TB - music files just below 1TB - no streaming services;
4 Sonos endpoints all 1 Gen, 1 of those a Connect into a Yamaha R-N301 which is also “Roonable” via Airplay;
Chromecast on a Sony TV for the “Karaoke function…”
All connections are Ethernet via switches and WiFi 5G.
I’m using the Sonos endpoints single and grouped and I understand that the signal is reduced to 16 bit because of the limitations of the Sonos boxes. But I’m using the Connect with the Yamaha and use fixed volume and the optical connection - so according to Sonos I’m bypassing the internal DAC and using the DAC in the Yamaha which is capable of doing higher bitrates/sample freq.
But that is not going to happen within Roon when using the Sonos Connect as endpoint I think…

Not really a problem - I really like the fact that I can now use the FLAC music on the Sonos Boxes…

I am also using my Apple stuff to play with the Sonos stuff. I have repurposed an old (2012) Mac mini as a Roon Bridge, playing my Roon library and Qobuz through the HDMI out on the mini to an HDMI input on my TV, then from the eArc to the Sonos Arc. Not reference, of course, but acceptable.

1 Like

In the meantime I’ve “upgraded” some things: I’m now using 2 RB pi’s with Hifiberry hats with Ropieee as Roon bridges to directly stream to the Yamaha with B&W 702 S2 speakers and Beolab Penta active speakers. Still able to use the Sonos boxes.
I’v switched to an annual subscription for Roon, really enjoying the new layers in the music experience with Roon…

Do your RPIs pass 5.1? I have bought, installed, and rejected a couple of devices for Roon Bridge because they would not pass 5.1, only 2.0. The mini does this just fine. I have a reference system downstairs, but streaming to my Sonos Arc is pretty darn good. I am 76 :face_with_peeking_eye:, so a Lifetime sub is not a great investment. Annual works for me. Roon is essential, IMO.

No they don’t, but I do not use 5.1 with Roon, only 2.0 and 2.1.
I’m not yet 76, but stick to annual too.