New software cannot connect to core

Yes, enter the address that appears when your boot up Nucleus.

FWIW, I’ve never successfully got the other method to work for my ROCK device, don’t know why, but what do you mean it doesn’t open. That could indicate that the Nucleus is not running.

I think the key is whether you can get to the Nucleus using the Web GUI or even if you get an address at boot time.

Yes, if you know the IP address type this in a browser, e.g., http://192.168.1.123.

In addition, it may be worthwhile restarting your network. Turn off everything and power on your router first. Once this is running, after a few minutes, turn on other networking equipment, before starting you core.

Ok, I have rebooted the router, turned the Nucleus back on, same thing. I again tried to enter the IP address I have associated with the Nucleus into my browser and it starts to search and stops, after a minute it indicates Safari cannot find server.

On the Choose your Core screen I click on help. I enter the IP address in the box to scan, it immediately takes me back to the Choose you Core screen with no scan results.

I will try to hook a computer up to the Nucleus to see if tells me anything on start up. I have to dig up a computer that I connect to it. May have to wait until my wife gots home from work, I don’t have a laptop, only iPads and iMac.

For the sake of argument, if the IP addresses differ what is the next step? Also, how can a IP address change from a software update?

I am betting that you won’t get an address, that the Nucleus isn’t booting up successfully.

The only way addresses could differ between your Nucleus, iPad and Mac is if the subnet is different. I don’t believe that’s the problem.

Can’t or shouldn’t.

So, at what point does Technical support enter the picture. If all these things we worked through didn’t rectify the problem, and it may be the Nucleus itself, what’s next? Seems strange that Monday everything worked fine, Tuesday morning nothing worked.

I suppose it would too much to hope for that Technical Support could log into the Nucleus to check its status.

Unfortunately, they can’t run diagnostics on something that isn’t online.

Let’s see what happens when a monitor is hooked up.

In the mean time, I’ll tag @support.

Is this address showing in the router’s list of known, active, devices in your network?

You can’t “hook up a computer” to your Nucleus. You want to use the HDMI connection on the Nucleus and plug a TV or a monitor into it. Powering up the Nucleus should then show the IP address where it can be reached by your web browser.

Geoff, when I started this I mentioned that I am not a computer guy, so your question about my router’s list of known, active, devices in my network is something that the router can tell me? Not sure how would get that?

I will hook the Nucleus up to a TV and see what it displays. I recall the Nucleus has two HDMI ports and A and B. Which one should I hook up to the TV?

You need to log in to your router software. Let’s leave that alone for now.

I think any HDMI port will work, but if you don’t get a message on one, then try the other on another boot up.

I logged into my router and the Nucleus+ is in the list of devices and shows it as an offline device. No doubt if I could connect and start music it will move to online. Given this do I still need to hook Nucleus up to the TV

It’s offline and, of course, it’s turned on? That’s troubling. Your router software is just remembering that it once was online.

Take the IP address that the router gives for the Nucleus and enter it into a browser. I don’t think you’ll be successful.

Hooked up to a monitor may, or may not, give more info.

To me, right now, it sounds like the M.2 drive that holds the OS has gone south. Monitor messages might tell more.

In addition, can you check that the power light is on, and there are LEDs blinking next to the Ethernet cable. Thanks.

Martin, power light is on (have rebooted Nucleus several times), Ethernet lights (both) are on and blinking.

Martin, I connected the Nucleus+ to my TV, Tested both HDMI ports (A&B) rebooted on each. First on the HDMI 1 input and next of the HDMI 3 input on the TV, each time following the same sequence. Nothing appeared on the screen, simply a no signal message on all attempts.

That looks ominous - if you are not seeing anything on the screen (and your router is telling you that the Nucleus is offline), then there is definitely a problem with the Nucleus…

For the next steps, two questions:

• Is the Nucleus still within the 2 year warranty period?
  • Did you buy it direct from Roon, or via a dealer?
1 Like

Geoff, still under warranty, purchased 2022 from a dealer, The Music Room.

Geoff, unfortunately I think I may have a lemon. Already sent it in once for a motherboard replacement ~ 3 months ago.

I’m afraid that it looks as though you need to return it to your dealer once more. Not good.

Geoff, the last time Support had me send it directly to them, Roon. Going through the dealer, who is in Colorado and I’m in Indiana is not the way to go. Can you forward this to Support so I can communicate directly with them on the return for warranty service.

Thanks

@support will be aware of this thread, since they are automatically notified by posts in this category - however, I’ve just given them an additional nudge by flagging them in my post.

They will probably follow up with you via the Private Message function of the forum. Stay tuned.