New streaming device from Primare - the NP5

@xxx Thank you. It does have a coax digital output, though, which will output 192/24. I agree that they haven’t exactly been forthcoming with a lot of information. This could be a huge product, because it could provide both chrome cast and Roon streaming at an attractive price.

I believe it is software upsampling NP5 does. I got mine a week ago and it does not matter what file I send to it, the output shows 192 kHz if NP5 is set to that value. That include 44.1, 88.2 and so on.

1 Like

@jazMirti Thanks!!! So, do you like the NP5? Do you recommend it for Roon? My use is primarily for my own content.

I would not recommend it for Roon until it gets Roon ready. Upsampling is just wrong and you should be able to choose wether or not to use it. Chromecast built-in is stuttering on samplerates above 24/48 kHz. Upnp, however, is working great.

1 Like

@jazMirti Many thanks. This is disappointing to hear. It looked like an ideal one-stop solution because I need chromeCast for Plex. Guess I’ll wait until they get their act together. It’s not even available here in California yet.

The Prisma App has just been updated which includes some bug fixes (including rs232 fixes) &, to be delivered soon, a firmware update for the NP5.

Is it also fixing the Chromecast stuttering and is it the Roon ready update or just bug fixes?

FWIW, Darko talked to Primare about this device a bit recently: https://youtu.be/ctRvF8brjTg

Not so much about NP5 as it is about gaspless playback.

A lot of words that didn’t say much.

The guy likes Spotify and UPnP.
'Nuff said, as far as Roon goes.

Is it true that a Roon ready device has to be able to be set to send a bit-perfect signal, that it is a requirement?

It’s a very fit device even at full throttle it breaths easily, “gaspless” playback :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, I have this now. Firstly, RAAT works but it is still uncertified. As a streaming endpoint it is PCM only Its output is selectable 48/96/192 at 24 bits. Feeding it at 44.1/16 seems to work best. Most importantly it sounds pretty good. I am encouraged by its performance.

1 Like

Henry, where are you located?

Nm. UK. No5 Still not in Usa

NP5 is freely available in the U.K. I have mine for around three weeks, but with some operational issues when combined with an NP30.

Hi, I’m in the U.K. like Paul. The delay I experienced wasn’t down to lack of availability but because the retailers IT system failed to properly process a Black Friday discount, parking my order. They didn’t notice until I sent an e-mail asking about progress.

I’m not going to use the 232 connector. Just need a roon and Plex endpoint. Taking forever to get to USA.

Not really nationalistic that way, but to address your concerns, Primare is not made in Sweden, but rather in one of the largest and most advanced OEM manufacturing facilities in China. Primare products are designed in our offices in Malmö Sweden, where the final manufacturing phase of multi-point QC testing takes place after a three day burn-in of every unit before it is shipped to our customers. Further, Primare was founded in Denmark, but moved to Sweden shortly thereafter, with the staff consisting of Danes, Swedes, a Dutchmen, and a Norwegian-American. Oh, and yes, it is an image of Loften. With the hope that helps! Terry, Primare marketing

2 Likes

For those with questions regarding output configuration of NP5 Prisma, please see below:

Primare NP5 Prisma Update Status Information

A Prisma app update for iPhone, iPad, and Android tablet has been recently released (Android phone app is in final stages of design for launch early next year, 2020).

This was done to ensure that the app would be available when we release an OTA update upon our return from winter holidays 7 January, and so that should there be any unintended consequences of the update we will be available to respond accordingly.

This OTA update is to address NP5 Prisma issues with RS232 control of older product, provide gapless playback from LAN and WLAN connected NAS drives, and provide general bug fixes. This update will be made available for all Prisma models shortly after this update has been successfully launched.

The next OTA update, to be launched either prior to, or coinciding with, the Roon Ready update, will provide additional options for the digital output. Initially, the digital output was configured to best address connection of NP5 Prisma to older Primare models, up-sampling to fixed outputs to those resolutions that would allow for best performance from those devises (48, 96, and 192).

The new options will allow a user to set the upper output limit (48, 96, or 192), with all inputs at or below that resolution being passed through at their native resolution. So, if maximum output is set to 192, all output of resolutions up to and including that resolution will be at the native input rate - meaning 44.1 in / 44.1 out, 96 in / 96 out, etc.

Roon Ready update is expected to be available as soon as possible within the first quarter of 2020.

For more information, please contact me at info@primare.net.
Tack! Terry, Primare marketing

4 Likes

Thank you for that information Terry. Do you have any information on when this will find its way to the US?

1 Like

I would not recommend it for Roon until it gets Roon ready. Upsampling is just wrong and you should be able to choose wether or not to use it. Chromecast built-in is stuttering on samplerates above 24/48 kHz. Upnp, however, is working great.

A lot of wisdom in these words, based on my own (extensive) experience with Chromecast Audio’s and Chromecast-built-in’s…

I’m interested in this product because “the price is right,” but I am disheartened to hear that everything is getting upsampled. I don’t want any upsampling, just grab the file and transport it untouched to my DAC/Receiver for D-to-A…

[Edit/Update] Looks like I should have kept scrolling… great news if the user is just setting an “upper limit” on bitrates, and everything below it will pass through without upsampling. This is key. I probably will not buy one until that feature is officially released and Roon Ready certification is also official… but if/when those things happen, I’m probably going to be picking up one (or more) of these…