New streaming service(s) coming in 2023

Apple has a special relationship with Sonos that they have not done with anybody else. Apple partnered with Sonos in 2016 to put Apple Music on Sonos and sell it in Apple Stores. The reason was that Apple didn’t have their own speakers yet (HomePod wasn’t released until 2018). They haven’t given native Apple Music support to anybody else and they have no motivation to do it for Roon.

How is the app on Sonos?

Really interested to hear you say this! I am more and more convinced Apple source files are of better quality than Tidal.

Yes they have.

1. Sonos
  2. Android mobile operating systems
  3. Tesla cars (without Apple CarPlay)

In the Apple app, the OS does not really matter as long as you use the Apple app.

Tesla and Sonos are many times the size of Roon and they don’t need or have the access to the database that Roon requires, so you can’t really compare that.

Mac mini >Intona USB Isolator >USB Dac >Apple Remote .

Download Apple Music lossless switcher to mac . Sadly you can’t search Apple Music but anything you add to your library will show up in Remote App .

I can’t say this is flawless but it works

They are better

Qobuz advertise quite heavily but the links seem to be to Apple, I wonder how they will maintain these links now ?

This is from a 3/23 review

Gramophone changed the links from Qobuz to Apple around February 2020 - I found an email that I sent to them regretting the change as I was (am) a Qobuz subscriber…

Today’s example of following album on Apple Music, not on Qobuz:

Seriously?!

Ok I found it Never mind. I think the Qobuz search interface is horrible. You get different results based on where you happen to be.

(For whatever reason I can’t delete the post.)

What was different about searching it?

It’s on Roons Qobuz new releases.

That release is just showing as one of the first highlighted albums for me.

Roon can’t find it via the “composition” tag.

it shows up if one searches by album.

1 Like

You say Apple Music sounds better than Tidal. What Tidal tier are you comparing to?

I have both Tidal and Qobuz. I have been a Roon lifetime subscriber since July 2015. I was a Tidal subscriber since they launched in the US. When Qobuz came around I planned to move over and ditch Tidal but I have found the coverage not to be equivalent so I have kept both. I do find Qobuz’s True High Res sounds better.

On Tidal Hifi/Hifi+: I am pretty disappointed at Tidal moving a large part of their content to 16bit/44.1KHz MQA - which means the resolution is LESS than 16bit as some bandwidth is required for MQA authentication.

1 Like

WHY? SONOS can use both because they agreed on that way before Apple and Spotify were the size they are today and they needed to grow by any means possible. Spotify will not give anyone else that privilege, instead going with Spotify Connect. I expect the same behavior from Apple.

I have both Qobuz and Tidal (and Apple Music), and I have to say my favorite part of Tidal is the remastered 16/44 content in MQA, which uniformly sounds fantastic…

…on my system(s), with my ears, of course.

:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

You can Apple Music on Mac connected directly usb to dac and control Mac on iPad using screen sharing app like VNC viewer

Yeah. Thanks for the suggestion. Not great for me though. I tried that. It was ok. I found VNC viewer nice and reliable until it’s not been used for a while. Also, the interface isn’t great with a Mac app on an iPad. Plus I wanted my Mac Mini in another room with HDMI directly to a tv for watching sport. My innuos Zen with usb to my DAC sounds best of all, most of the time.