New Tidal albums not showing up in Roon

Hey guys,

Sorry for the delay here. The Adele song is now available, and we’ve heard the feedback here as we continue to refine and streamline this process to minimize lag.

The process by which Roon’s metadata gets updated has undergone a complete overhaul over the last month. During this process, the latest data available is retrieved from Tidal, AllMusic, and others, after which is it processed and used to generate an updated master “index”. This is a pretty complex process, and the results also need a bit of verification before they can go live.

Over the last month, we’ve automated this process, made it less susceptible to errors, scheduled it to run more regularly, and optimized it so that it can complete in significantly less time. That said, errors can still occur, whether due by changes we’ve made or changes made by our partners. The efforts of the last month have made these occurrences increasingly rare, but when they do happen they can still delay the availability of the latest metadata.

Recently, we’ve heard from members about how pleased they were to see albums available in Roon on the day they were released. When we get a “go live” date in advance this is absolutely possible, but unfortunately we just barely missed getting the information last week in time for Adele’s new single. Additionally, a failure in the update process late Friday required some intervention, further delaying availability of Hello in Roon.

So, this was a bit of a perfect storm but the latest information is now available, including Adele’s Hello and any other albums that went live late last week and would’ve normally been available over the weekend. We continue to refine this process, and hope everyone can appreciate how central it is to the entire Roon experience. We absolutely understand how this kind of lag affects your experience with Roon, and we’re determined to do better here.

Thanks everyone and sorry for the delay!

1 Like

I’ve been finding some albums are not available or are incomplete when using Tidal within Roon compared to the iOS app… For example Derrick Hodge “Live today”… the full album is available when using the iOS app but only the title track within Roon. This album was released in June of 2013. I’ve run into this a few times and will keep a better log from here on out. Glad to see the Adele track has finally been added… Trying to justify the purchase to my wife was hard when she couldn’t listen to it.

Also, an album like Chris Potter “Imaginary Cities” shows up with all of the info but above each track it says “unavailable” in red. All of the tagging/liner notes/ratings/track info are present. Same with Eric Alexander “revival of the fittest” I’ve seen this a few times as well.

Mike, are you saying the fix is now in place?

I am still showing the following albums missing on US acct that I would guess all were released since last Friday. That’s a 5 day lag.

And none of the latest releases have rating or reviews. First albums with reviews came out on Oct 2nd. Nothing from the 9th has them. That’s over 3 weeks for allmusic to be synced up.

This has me worried. I just assumed the fix wasn’t in place.

I’m actually more upset that the ratings and allmusic reviews are not there from day one.

I appreciate all the hard work but to me there is no way I’d pay $500 right now for an incomplete service. And the sound quality is still below Amarra for Tidal, Audirvana +, and HQPlayer.

Mike, I show all 3 albums available. I’m in Canada.

Cheers, Greg

Well don’t I seem like an idiot. After I closed and reopened Roon, the albums were there. So we’ll see what happens this Friday with the upcoming new releases. I can understand an album or two getting missed day one, but how comes it doesn’t get picked up the next day. To me it feels like you rush out to the record store only to find it out of stock and they tell you to come back next week. That shouldn’t happen in digital form.

Now I was told the allmusic sync was somehow related to this database issue and I doesn’t look like that’s been fixed yet.

So the new releases is actually looking pretty good except I found one album missing:

So now it’s a matter of how long it takes them to add it to Roon. You can say I’m being a stickler but if this doesn’t show up until sometime next week, I’d say their process still needs work. I don’t care about this album in particular but if I did, I shouldn’t have to use other software to play it in my home.

The good news is I did try to go back to Amara for Tidal and damn it’s interface is frustrating to use. There is no way to even see what the latest albums I’ve added. My albums only arranged alphabetically. The sound quality is noticeably better though. I’ve also tried Tidal native app with Amara sQ+ and it doesn’t sound as good as Roon with sQ+. So my favorite combo of interface and sound quality is Roon with sQ+.

So I may be nitpicking about the latest releases and allmusic data not showing up from day one, but I still think it’s expected for such an expensive product.

Yes you are.

Nick to quote yourself …

[quote=“NickB, post:89, topic:3152”]
Please don’t let this forum turn into the usual negative back biting that happens on most.
[/quote]Personally I’d like the sync to have less latency and there’s definitely some room for improvement however, there are some factors that are outside of Roon’s control and these are the real sticking points and much harder to circumvent.

How this will pan out I’ve no idea, what I can be sure of is that the Roon guys want to deliver the very best experience possible.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @mike. Happy camper on this side. The album is expected Nov 20th ;).

I’m sorry others feel I am asking for too much and I’m glad you are happy with the current product. I’m am very happy with it except in the area of new releases.

I am not trying to belittle what this product does right. Everything else is amazing. I look forward to the upcoming releases and maybe in the future I’ll be sold on the lifetime subscription.

A post was split to a new topic: Adele’s 25 not getting any metadata

Hi, what is the current state of the delay with new albums not showing in Roon?
For example: yerterday morning the new Bloc Party album was avaiable in Tidal but it still doesnt show in Roon. When can we expect this to be accurate? Thanks.

If you’re asking when Roon will import new releases as soon as Tidal publish them, there will always be a delay while metadata is added. That delay has been reduced, but Roon is in the hands of the metadata providers as to how short it can get.

If you’re asking when this particular album will show up in Roon, most new albums are available within 1-3 days after publication in Tidal.

Here’s the part I don’t understand: I get that Roon might not have data in order to find something on Tidal, but if the album is in Tidal and you favorite it there, then shouldn’t it show up in Roon as an unidentified album? I stared Anti, the new Rihanna album in Tidal on Friday, but it doesn’t show up in Roon at all.

1 Like

I have a similar problem here. I find that new albums do not show up in Roon and they are in TIDAL. The update seems to be quite slow and certainly slower than 2-3 days. For example for classical music, the last album by Yuja Wang was in TIDAL since last Summer and it still does not show up in Roon. Any suggestions on a fix?

The Tidal in Roon isn’t live, it’s driven by their own database which is created offline and synced with Tidal at various intervals.

I’ve suggested a ‘live’ tab for Tidal so at least you can play files while the updates are filtering through, but ideally the guys probably need to come up with a way to make the database update dynamically in real time (or close to as possible) and I know they’re working towards this.

I think there are a few Tidal albums that never show up for me too, although I never took the time to note them down. Going back out to the Tidal app just to play a missing song is actually pretty tricky in my home setup now Roon’s integrated headless, so its not ideal on the few occasions where it happens.

Hopefully any work they do to improve this area will also make it easier to integrate further services…. I think adding a few more would help get more users, as people have history established with their favourite services like to stick with them….I know I’ll jump back to Qobuz as soon as its available (not least since, in contrast to you, I never want to see another plug for Rihanna or similar rammed down my throat via the Tidal Ap :wink: )

For what it’s worth, Sonos seems to be synced up “live” with Tidal.

I’ve also had a different but possibly related issue. When a new album is on Tidal but not yet on Roon, and I “favorite” it in Tidal during that time, I cannot seem to be able to add that album to my Roon library after it becomes available in Roon. This has happened with two albums: “Pool” by Porches and “EVOL” by Future.

7 posts were split to a new topic: A Love Supreme missing from TIDAL?